Boots - The final frontier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rthorntn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice on specific brands and models as we don't have massive dive stores here that carry a bunch of different brands.

I have XL Scubapro Jet fins, I like them, it's time to replace my old Scubapro Delta size 11 boots, they are falling apart.

I would like something with with a bit more of a sole, the Delta doesn't give much cushion on boat ladders but I want it to slide fairly nicely in to the fin pocket, the only thicker soled boot (Mares Flexa) I tried was a nightmare to get in to the pocket (the side of the soles rubs hard against the sides of the pocket, rubber on rubber), although some silicone spray would help with that. So I guess it's somewhere in between a Delta and a Flexa.

Any recommendation would need to be available retail in Australia so I could go and try them on.

Oh and recommendation for a nice pair of close fitting thin dive socks to wear underneath the boots would be great!

Also on the silicone spray, I have some WD40 silicone spray, is that OK to use on the inside of a fin pocket, the text on the can warns about avoiding prolonged contact with rubber? Or is food grade silicone spray better?

Thanks for looking.

Richard

Last edited:
Take a look at the 4th Element Pelagic and Amphibian boots, 6.5mm plus sole insert. Very nice boots. The Amphibians have a thicker sole. You can buy them in Oz, IIRC I paid about $110, not cheap but what dive gear is in Oz.

Environmentally friendly dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Makes fun entry or tight wet suit entry easy and does not hurt anything.

Take a look at the 4th Element Pelagic and Amphibian boots, 6.5mm plus sole insert. Very nice boots. The Amphibians have a thicker sole. You can buy them in Oz, IIRC I paid about $110, not cheap but what dive gear is in Oz.
Hey Buddha,

I have DR XT fins, size L, and dive in 20 to 25ºC water. I really like the 4th Element Amphibian boots, but I wonder if the 6.5mm might be too warm? Also, any experience in fitting them in DR XR fins? have to order the boots online, they don´t have them available in Brazil.. Any advice?

Thanks!

I would recommend Mares Trilastic. Most comfortable boots I've ever tried on and they fit all of my XL sized fins. I know the jet fin has a narrow foot pocket, but might be worth a shot.

Are you shore diving or boat diving? If it’s shore diving, and it’s a rough ironshore... you will benefit from a strong sole. ScubaPro and Akona have some nice shorediving boots.

If you are boat diving, then you just need something that will keep you from slipping.

I’m not sure where you are located, but I would suggest based on my past experience is to stop by your local store and bring one of your fins with you. That way you can try a new boot with your favorite fins and see how they perform together. You won’t be able to do much more than walk around a bit and wait to see if the comfort level stays even after 10 minuets or so.

I’ve made repeated mistakes with boots, perhaps up to 5 times now. It’s all because I did not have a fin to try them with. I’m talking about little things that make a big difference, at least for me. Things like:
A. Can I easily remove the fins or are the boot soles too wide and all terrain that someone will need to help pull the fins off for me?
B. Will the strap stay put with the boot or can it slide off inadvertently?
C. Is the boot as comfortable with the fin or is it too tight or too loose?
D. Does the sole hold it’s shape or will it buckle or warp from space restrictions inside the fin pocket?
E. Does the boot zipper play nice with the fin strap?
F. When standing, does the boot feel as comfortable while wearing the fins?
G. Will the bridge of you foot be comfortable or will the fin create a pressure point with the boot... essentially making you want to never wear them again?
H. Is the tension around the heel something you can tolerate for extended periods of time or does it bother you after 5 minutes?

I know you are asking for a specific boot brand, model or design. My suggestion is take a fin with you, your socks too and drive up to you nearest shop. Try it and buy a strong sole for shore diving and/or a thin for boat.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Ricardo

Hey Buddha,

I have DR XT fins, size L, and dive in 20 to 25ºC water. I really like the 4th Element Amphibian boots, but I wonder if the 6.5mm might be too warm? Also, any experience in fitting them in DR XR fins? have to order the boots online, they don´t have them available in Brazil.. Any advice?

Thanks!

I'd doubt it, personally having too warm feet has never been an issue for me regardless of thickness or water temperature, I have however had cold feet.

I use the 4th element boots with my med XTs but I am on the low end of the size range, I'd imagine if I was at the high end they may possibly be on the tight side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom