Question Fins for chunky rock boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorslibertas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought myself a second hand drysuit with neoprene socks. I have some pretty sturdy rock boots (they’re actually canyoning boots with great non-slip soles as I have a bit of a phobia of slipping while fully kitted up for a dive). These are the boots, I have size 43EU: Etche Canyon Boot - Starless River

The boots are too big for the 2XL Turtle Fins that I tried. I was wondering if you know whether 3XL Turtle Fins, Apeks RK3 HD in Super, and/or 2XL Scuba Pro Jet Fins would fit? I've emailed my LDS to see if I could try them on, but I doubt they have all of those in stock.

Annas

You might want to try the Hollis F-1 fins, one of the few fins I'm aware of that fits my large drysuit boots... (ballpark USA sizing for the F-1s on drysuit boots are "regular" for 7 to 9, "XL" fir 10-12, and XXL for 13 to 15, I'm normally size 13.5 wide USA and the XXL fins are a nice fit, although I don't recall for sure off the top of my head if my DUI rockboots are 14 or 15..
(With conversations being prone to error I'll leave usa to eu size conversion to you, simply as another data point... Having your LDS let you try them on would obviously be ideal and a good way to earn your business...)

There are way to many variations for anyone to hazard a guess unless the know those boots, those boots look horrible as rock boots by the way.
the best way to know is to take the boot and find the fin and see if they fit.

a lot of people can’t fathom modifying gear, I modify nearly everything I use to some extent, like changing bungee length or changing to bungee straps from spring straps.

I use XXL jets with my size 15 us boots but the springs are too short so I switch to bungee. Jets only fit on the first 2/3 of the boot so they are very forgiving but you still need to try them.

I have Turtle 3xl and my rock boots fit. I have size 14 feet.

My only relevant data point: an XL F1 is smaller than an XL Turtle. I'm pretty sure you'd need a 3XL in anything for those boots.

Rubbish fin only fits on maybe half a normal persons foot and they are still
using the same foot pocket from when we only used socks and not boots, a disgrace

Now the current SP fin utilises a long foot pocket almost encapsulating the entire foot. Magnificent!

Update:

The 2XL Jets arrived. They definitely fit better than the Turtles. I think I’ll keep them.

Attachments

• FEBA5200-E41C-48AC-8F49-00115BE5B244.jpeg
    FEBA5200-E41C-48AC-8F49-00115BE5B244.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 1E08DD92-072C-4EAC-99CB-BD09EC53AD43.jpeg
    1E08DD92-072C-4EAC-99CB-BD09EC53AD43.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 146
I don't think you'll find a higher foot pocket then Deep6 Eddy fins: Fins. They rival F1s for stiffness, but are neutral in the water if you have heavy feet.

Update:

The 2XL Jets arrived. They definitely fit better than the Turtles. I think I’ll keep them.

They look too small. Your boots stick out too much top and bottom.

Back
Top Bottom