Blurry vision underwater is due to pupil dilation, which can be controlled to see as if wearing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I confuse nothing.

Measure of effective low light vision before laser correction = x

Measure of effective low light vision after laser correction = x - y with no other changes being made.

Conclusion: low light vision is reduced after laser correction.

You can explain the mechanism for this however you want; it does not change the fact theat they are linked, and a very high number of people - myself included - report reduced low light vision after laser correction.

You are confusing decreased vision in low light conditions with dark adaptation.

Two very separate and distinct entities.

You are confusing decreased vision in low light conditions with dark adaptation.

Two very separate and distinct entities.
Repetition of the same response, eh? Does that work for you often? Let me try it: I confuse nothing.

You have a very rigid and inflexible way of thinking that, I believe, is causing you reading comprehension difficulties. Or you just like to argue, not sure which.

I cannot see as well in low light conditions after laser correction. I care not a whit how many different mechanisms are involved, how they are involved, what they are called, or whether they are even understood.

I cannot see as well in low light conditions.

After laser correction.

One is a consequence of the other.

@DavBuc What do you do for a living?

Repetition of the same response, eh? Does that work for you often? Let me try it: I confuse nothing.

You have a very rigid and inflexible way of thinking that, I believe, is causing you reading comprehension difficulties. Or you just like to argue, not sure which.

I cannot see as well in low light conditions after laser correction. I care not a whit how many different mechanisms are involved, how they are involved, what they are called, or whether they are even understood.

I cannot see as well in low light conditions.

After laser correction.

One is a consequence of the other.

@gcarter fails to comprehend that decreased vision in low light condition is not in any way related to "dark adaptation" which is the gradual process that occurs as prevailing light decreases, during which time visual demand is shifted from the cones which are found in the central retina and are responsible for color vision and vision in bright conditions, to the rods, which are found in the more peripheral retina and are responsible for vision in dark environments as well as being more sensitive to peripheral movement-think back to our ancestors when that bear might have been moving in on them from the side.

@carter's decreased night vision following corneal refractive surgery is due to corneal epithelial defects due to either post surgical edema, scarring, or irregularities in regrowth and possibly other factors including dry eye syndrome, but is not related to the photoreceptors of the human eye which are found on the retina, in the back of the eye.

@gcarter fails to comprehend that decreased vision in low light condition is not in any way related to "dark adaptation" which is the gradual process that occurs as prevailing light decreases, during which time visual demand is shifted from the cones which are found in the central retina and are responsible for color vision and vision in bright conditions, to the rods, which are found in the more peripheral retina and are responsible for vision in dark environments as well as being more sensitive to peripheral movement-think back to our ancestors when that bear might have been moving in on them from the side.

@carter's decreased night vision following corneal refractive surgery is due to corneal epithelial defects due to either post surgical edema, scarring, or irregularities in regrowth and possibly other factors including dry eye syndrome, but is not related to the photoreceptors of the human eye which are found on the retina, in the back of the eye.
You again fail in reading comprehension and demonstrate a lack of ability to parse a simple logical construct.

John,

I tried those. Almost impossible to attach properly to one’s mask. Silly pieces of string supporting a heavy frame. After much struggling, I was able to do so but was underwhelmed by results.

I just use built-in readers these days. That entire episode cost me $200. They’re impossible to resell after purchase. I’m glad they work for you.
My SeawiscopeEY is attached by circular rubber that is kept in place on the arms by constriction around figure-8 attachment points. Once on, I have had mine in 3 knot currents without it being detached. But because of resistance, the current can flip the SeawiscopeEY Down inadvertently (there is a lever which can be used to keep the lenses in place, if desired).

You can see me using the SeawiscopeEY here:

SeaRat

My SeawiscopeEY is attached by circular rubber that is kept in place on the arms by constriction around figure-8 attachment points. Once on, I have had mine in 3 knot currents without it being detached. But because of resistance, the current can flip the SeawiscopeEY Down inadvertently (there is a lever which can be used to keep the lenses in place, if desired).

You can see me using the SeawiscopeEY here:

SeaRat

Your video WAS the primary reason that I bought the SWS! I wanted it to work for me really badly, but:

a) Problem is that I always need magnifiers to see my gauges. Those take up the bottom half of each lens. Attaching the SWS and then dropping them down made the mask optics too complicated.

b) Mine came with flimsy plastic yellow twine-like string for attachment. It was a major task just to connect the SWS to the mask. I disliked it intensely. How did you attach yours?

Back
Top Bottom