Blue triggerfish bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're in their environment....so who is the dick ??
So proud you must be of your Bevis and Butthead comment that you had to post it twice.

The Blue Trigger, also known as the Red-Tooth Trigger, Odonus niger, is from the tropical indo-pacific area. In three decades of REEF.org surveys of species and abundance (over 13,000 surveys) in the Mexican Caribbean, not even one has been reported.

Odonus niger? I saw a little one in the Texas Flower Garden once.

The Odonus niger might not be the nicest fish, but it sure is striking. This one is from Anilao, Philippines. Look at those chompers!
redtooth1.jpeg

The Odonus niger might not be the nicest fish
Oh, they are really. I used to like to sell the juveniles in an aquarium shop I had decades ago because they were lively, attractive, intelligent for a fish, and resistant to the nitrogen cycle run-in for a new setup before nitrifying bacteria were established. They're not known to be aggressive in tanks or the wild, considered planktivorous eaters, also known to eat krill, clams, squid, urchins, and small fish, but not ferocious killers. It's wrong to release them in coastal waters when they get big, but surely happens.

One time early in my diving days I took a ziplock of cat food with me to Belize and opened it to see what fish I could attract. Dumb thing I did once. I was amazed at how many triggers suddenly surrounded me. Should have used frozen spinach, but I never repeated.

Aren't Sergeant majors the most aggressive?

Odonus niger? I saw a little one in the Texas Flower Garden once.
My vote is for SM's !! Had two bean me on my forehead, just above my mask as I was looking at their egg mass on the side of the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire. However, totally understandable as they were only defending their territory. I had two sore bitemarks, one over each eyebrow for a few days .

I get nipped frequently by Damselfish, often unexpectedly, while taking a photo near the reef. Mostly, it's the surprise

The only real bites I've gotten are from Gray Triggerfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom