Blue Hole closing next month for dredging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of the rumor, and I really hope it happens.
The Colorado dive shops would do OW classes in the new place.
Individuals could just go diving any time they want.
This will create more certified divers.
Many individuals would still go to The Blue Hole for a change of pace, and to either dive dry or with 7mm suits, just for practice.
Anyway, I think that the Colorado hot spring project is a ways off, if feasible at all.

Could somebody PM me the rumor? I'd love a good Colorado dive spot!

Hey...if you do scan that, PM me and I'd love to see a copy. I live in Las Cruces, have never been up to the Blue Hole. Not sure why...just haven't made it up there. Is it worth the trip?

HilaryRN71:
Hey...if you do scan that, PM me and I'd love to see a copy. I live in Las Cruces, have never been up to the Blue Hole. Not sure why...just haven't made it up there. Is it worth the trip?
Looks like it's 339 miles from there to Santa Rosa, compared to my 224 mile trip. (see map) You're a lot closer to Balmorhea Texas, but then, Blue Hole is 81 deep and interesting dive. Perch Lake there is really boring to me, but good for navigation practice.

I hope to do Rock Lake there after the first of the year. It has some freshwater sponges found nowhere else in the world. We'll be going to 180 feet on Decompression training.

DandyDon:
Looks like it's 339 miles from there to Santa Rosa, compared to my 224 mile trip. (see map) You're a lot closer to Balmorhea Texas, but then, Blue Hole is 81 deep and interesting dive. Perch Lake there is really boring to me, but good for navigation practice.

I hope to do Rock Lake there after the first of the year. It has some freshwater sponges found nowhere else in the world. We'll be going to 180 feet on Decompression training.
If I go thru Alamogordo (HW 70) to HW 54 in Tularosa, it's about 220 miles, I think. Going thru ABQ is the long way for me. But it's still a LOOOOOONG drive. It's 55 mph for a long stretch of HW 54 (due to deer/car accidents according to MR. NICE (NOT) HIWAY PATROL who pulled me over. :D I'll still go. I like colder water, and to use my drysuit. I'm going to go to Balmorhea also, to take my 11 year old. What I'm interested in is Perch? I guess there is a plane wreck there? I'd like to do that dive...

HilaryRN71:
If I go thru Alamogordo (HW 70) to HW 54 in Tularosa, it's about 220 miles, I think. Going thru ABQ is the long way for me. But it's still a LOOOOOONG drive. It's 55 mph for a long stretch of HW 54 (due to deer/car accidents according to MR. NICE (NOT) HIWAY PATROL who pulled me over. :D I'll still go. I like colder water, and to use my drysuit. I'm going to go to Balmorhea also, to take my 11 year old. What I'm interested in is Perch? I guess there is a plane wreck there? I'd like to do that dive...
Yeah, I never suggest back roads to others, but I take them. Looked at your DiveLife link, and with your dive history and dry suit - you'd be fine in Perch. About the only thing to see there is a small plane, tho.

We may still go the weekend of Nov 12? I need to brief my dive buddies and see if they're up to it. They're a little younger than me, but not that much; just have to see how they react to the idea. :11:

I have a few pics of Blue Hole on my Gallery albums. Got a better album from the last trip, but ran out of space, and Tech Admin is a little busy with the upgrade bugs. If you'd like to see those, email me at DandyDon@ScubaBoard.com - tell me who you are and remind me of the Blue Hole pics. I'll send you a link so you don't have to download them.

I'll never forget that weekend - humping tanks up and down the steps for replacement when she gave us bad ones, taking care of a newbie diver and watching out for a vacation diver, thinking my sore leg was really inconvenient. Turned out to be DVT, but it turned out well enough. more details here Have reasonable expectations of being back in the water in a couple of weeks, I think.

DandyDon:
The sponges ARE pretty neat. I haven't dove the Rock in several months. Our little group has been thinking next spring, about April/May is a a good time. The water is still clear of algae bloom and the weather isn't bad.

So who are you taking the deco training from Don?

ABQdiver:
The sponges ARE pretty neat. I haven't dove the Rock in several months. Our little group has been thinking next spring, about April/May is a a good time. The water is still clear of algae bloom and the weather isn't bad.
I've seen FW sponges in the St.Lawrence river. Either they were spawning or - more likely, there were a lot of little ones in the water, but the constant flow of them made one of the divers puke every day. She's known for her motion sickness tendencies and quite experienced at puking thru her reg.

Anyway, got any pics of the Rock's sponges? How big?
So who are you taking the deco training from Don?
Chad is a young Padi/TDI instructor in Lubbock, own South West Aqua Sports with his wife Rachelle. Neat folks. He runs a construction business while she keeps the store open and broke some bones in his leg some time back. First our training was postponed when other students couldn't make it to Santa Rosa one weekend, then for his last surgery, and now - for my DVT therapy. Hope to heal enough to get to it eventually. As often as I got into deco on wreck dives, I'm sure the training well help. :D

DandyDon:
I've seen FW sponges in the St.Lawrence river. Either they were spawning or - more likely, there were a lot of little ones in the water, but the constant flow of them made one of the divers puke every day. She's known for her motion sickness tendencies and quite experienced at puking thru her reg.

Anyway, got any pics of the Rock's sponges? How big?
Sorry, no pictures. Never took the camera down (I will next time though). However, they are not big. Probably 2" across or so. Wispy, milky appearence at about 30'-60' down or so. The most I saw were over on the Southeast side of the lake.

Back
Top Bottom