Blowing Stink in Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose it has been edited since first posting, as I distinctly remember 0 in December 0f 2017

Haha - no Dave, It was not edited. The chart in the post is not able to be edited. It's a screenshot of the original spreadsheet I made and posted. It was posted on January 22, 2018. The very next day the post was pinned to the top and locked by a moderator so no additional posts or edits can be made - it's there for reference and is not a "live" post that can be edited.

Maybe you were thinking December of 2018 - there's nothing in that column because I made the spreadsheet in January of 18 - so there was no data yet.

Besides the dreaded Norte, what else causes a port closure in Coz?

If you consider Christi's really cool chart to be hard data, January is the most consistent month in terms of port closures. It's the only month without a blank. February comes in second with only 1 blank year. Cumulatively from 2010 to 2017 January has the most closures with 17. October comes in second with 14. On the other hand, January only had the most closures in a year twice, once with 4 (2015), and it tied once with 2 closures (2012). October has had the most closures in a month with 3 years, one of those years being a tie. (2010, 2011, 2017)

April had the most blanks with 5 over the charting period, followed by November, December and March which each had 4 blank years. Worst year was 2011 with 13 closures followed by 2017 with 12 closures for the year. 2016 had the least with 4 closures for the year.

Cumulatively, April has had the least closures with 4 during the charted years.

If one was to be in Cozumel for a calendar month, January is the only month you're assured a norte closure. February comes in second as it's only had one blank month in the same period.

If you consider Christi's really cool chart to be hard data, January is the most consistent month in terms of port closures. It's the only month without a blank. February comes in second with only 1 blank year. Cumulatively from 2010 to 2017 January has the most closures with 17. October comes in second with 14. On the other hand, January only had the most closures in a year twice, once with 4 (2015), and it tied once with 2 closures (2012). October has had the most closures in a month with 3 years, one of those years being a tie. (2010, 2011, 2017)

April had the most blanks with 5 over the charting period, followed by November, December and March which each had 4 blank years. Worst year was 2011 with 13 closures followed by 2017 with 12 closures for the year. 2016 had the least with 4 closures for the year.

Cumulatively, April has had the least closures with 4 during the charted years.

If one was to be in Cozumel for a calendar month, January is the only month you're assured a norte closure. February comes in second as it's only had one blank month in the same period.

Nice analysis but if ANY post ever needed charts - this is it.

Dear Christi,

What does that prove in the long term as you can always find outliers. But I guess you were not here in 2001.

Dave
Clearly you've never taken a statistics class and/or know what an outlier actually is.

PS. 2001 was 18 years ago. It might interest you that the weather around the globe has changed significantly in the past 2 decades.

The link to the chart I used is in Christi's post #29 on this thread. It's good to read her notes about the chart too.

I've been there in January several times and haven't missed a day. February, yeah. March, yeah. Even April. You never know. I've just been lucky.

Personally, I wouldn't stay away in January if that's what worked for me.

Haha - no Dave, It was not edited. The chart in the post is not able to be edited. It's a screenshot of the original spreadsheet I made and posted. It was posted on January 22, 2018. The very next day the post was pinned to the top and locked by a moderator so no additional posts or edits can be made - it's there for reference and is not a "live" post that can be edited.

Maybe you were thinking December of 2018 - there's nothing in that column because I made the spreadsheet in January of 18 - so there was no data yet.

Yea, maybe it was Dec 2018. Been there 25 years and I am old as a rock.

Dave Dillehay

27042980_10215374401261910_19444079_n-jpg.443198.jpg

Back
Top Bottom