Blowing Stink in Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here comes another one.
Yep, it got up to 73F up here on the High Plains the other day, I sprayed Roundup on some winter weeds invading my dormant Bermuda grass (my neighbors keep me well supplied in seeds), but it's 17F at this moment and not expected to hit 60F for the next 10 days.

Wind Guru doesn't look good for Cozumel Friday & Saturday.

Yes, it came through Galveston at 1:30 this morning. Mid 30s with moderately strong north wind and bitter rain. Windguru has conflicting outlooks but Saturday and Sunday look questionable for Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

This mornings outlook for the weekend looks much better than it did yesterday. It's shifting more to the east which is a good sign and Sunday doesn't look like a problem at all anymore.

Last night these predictions were sustained straight North winds of 15mph with gusts up to 30mph, much better this morning - and if it keeps shifting, we may end up being in the clear!

upload_2019-1-23_9-59-5.png

This mornings outlook for the weekend looks much better than it did yesterday. It's shifting more to the east which is a good sign and Sunday doesn't look like a problem at all anymore.

Last night these predictions were sustained straight North winds of 15mph with gusts up to 30mph, much better this morning - and if it keeps shifting, we may end up being in the clear!

View attachment 500904
I certainly hope so or I will have to stay longer then planed. Bummer!!

The windguru page I follow shows two models. For Friday one (GFS) shows just a slight easterly component of modest strength (which I think can shut the port), and the other (ICON) indicates strong wind from due north which would definitely close the port. Both show movement to the East for Saturday which may reopen the port.

All of this just reinforces my opinion that January is by far the worst month for nortes. Like Jan 2001 in which the port was closed for a majority of the days in January (like 21 out of 31).

AS of today, we've had 3 days of port closures for January

December 2018 we had 8 days of port closures.

AS of today, we've had 3 days of port closures for January

December 2018 we had 8 days of port closures.

Dear Christi,

What does that prove in the long term as you can always find outliers. But I guess you were not here in 2001.

Dave

The windguru page I follow shows two models. For Friday one (GFS) shows just a slight easterly component of modest strength (which I think can shut the port), and the other (ICON) indicates strong wind from due north which would definitely close the port. Both show movement to the East for Saturday which may reopen the port.

All of this just reinforces my opinion that January is by far the worst month for nortes. Like Jan 2001 in which the port was closed for a majority of the days in January (like 21 out of 31).
Dave what is the break down or data of Port closures for every month other then the one January 2001? I have been in Cozumel plenty of January's and didn't have any more or less Nortes's then any other winter month. To paint a broad brush on January based on one month in 2001 doesn't make sense without data to back that up. Weather changes every year.

Dave what is the breakdown or data of Port closures for every month other then the one January 2001? I have been in Cozumel plenty of January's and didn't have any more or less Nortes's then any other winter month. To paint a broad brush on January based on one month in 2001 doesn't make sense without data to back that up. Weather changes every year.

@Dave yes, I was here in 2001 actually - I didn't start my shop until 2002, but I was here in 2001but even so, I was merely stating a fact as to where we currently stand as far as port closures in December and January so far. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alan, I did this exact breakdown last year. Check the pinned posts at the top of the Cozumel forum. I did a monthly chart by month all the way back to 2010 Obviously I need to update the chart to include 2018 and ask a mod to switch it out.

Historical Port Closures by month/year for Cozumel

@Dave yes, I was here in 2001 actually - I didn't start my shop until 2002, but I was here in 2001but even so, I was merely stating a fact as to where we currently stand as far as port closures in December and January so far. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alan, I did this exact breakdown last year. Check the pinned posts at the top of the Cozumel forum. I did a monthly chart by month all the way back to 2010 Obviously I need to update the chart to include 2018 and ask a mod to switch it out.

Historical Port Closures by month/year for Cozumel

Based on that information January 2001 was an outlier and by far not the norm. Weather changes every month from year to year so my statement about January being no more or less then any other winter month is correct. I have been in Cozumel every month of the year so I will take my chances in any month. I have one bad trip because of weather I just schedule the next one and hope for the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom