Norte Predictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your wind speeds are in Km/h. Mine is set to knots. It might be what is causing some confusion - your earlier screenshots don't have units.
I set them to match the port captains values. The threshold seems to be about 25 Km/h from about 30°N (orientation of the island) and west of that

I heard port tomorrow may still be closed. Saturday looking good?

1711680098675.png

I heard port tomorrow may still be closed. Saturday looking good?

View attachment 834031

Tomorrow should certainly be open (mild winds and the they will be coming from East/Southeast so dive sites will be mostly protected from wind anyway).

Today’s forecast is borderline so I could see port captain going either way. (someone should have port captain report fairly soon I assume ). Wind direction not good for diving in morning but wind not particularly strong. Direction gets a little better for diving down south in the afternoon but wind picks up a little (and wind doesn’t truly shift until mid afternoon so kind of late for port opening if they are waiting on actual shift ).

I think the port opened around 11:00 AM today. There's people scheduled to go on a night dive tonight, too. We went to the cenotoes in Tulum this AM rather than wait around. With the southern sites closed quite a bit this week, we dove lots of the sites north of Cedral (which is on temp season closure) anyway.

Hope everyone here who wanted to get out was able to.

Had an amazing day today with my first post-certification dive here in Cozumel! Thanks for the help with weather, much appreciated! Did two dives with my daughter this afternoon. Got to 52 feet, 45 minutes each dive.

Thought my air would last longer using a 100 cu ft tank, but got low around 40 minutes. Hoping I can relax more now and get more time. My daughter still had way more air, and only with an 80 cu ft tank.

Had an amazing day today with my first post-certification dive here in Cozumel! Thanks for the help with weather, much appreciated! Did two dives with my daughter this afternoon. Got to 52 feet, 45 minutes each dive.

Thought my air would last longer using a 100 cu ft tank, but got low around 40 minutes. Hoping I can relax more now and get more time. My daughter still had way more air, and only with an 80 cu ft tank.
Yeah, that will get better with experience. You'll learn how to be efficient with your propulsion; one of the most common mistakes by new divers in current is to wear yourself out fighting it to the point where you get hyperventilated, which will use your air up very quickly.

Yeah, that will get better with experience. You'll learn how to be efficient with your propulsion; one of the most common mistakes by new divers in current is to wear yourself out fighting it to the point where you get hyperventilated, which will use your air up very quickly.
We had a smooth current on the first dive, and barely any on the second. We did stop a few times and swim upstream to hold our position on the first. On the second, the DM had as finning like crazy to get to the end, lol. I’ll be sure to ask to take it slow on Monday morning. Hoping the weather holds. Do southerly’s close the port? Wind is doing a 180 from two days ago

We had a smooth current on the first dive, and barely any on the second. We did stop a few times and swim upstream to hold our position on the first. On the second, the DM had as finning like crazy to get to the end, lol. I’ll be sure to ask to take it slow on Monday morning. Hoping the weather holds. Do southerly’s close the port? Wind is doing a 180 from two days ago
A strong southerly wind sometimes closes the southernmost reefs to diving.

Drift diving around Cozumel should never require "finning like crazy", but sometimes steady kicking is needed to get from one section of reef to another; it should never be in opposition to the current but sometimes will be across it.

A strong southerly wind sometimes closes the southernmost reefs to diving.

Drift diving around Cozumel should never require "finning like crazy", but sometimes steady kicking is needed to get from one section of reef to another; it should never be in opposition to the current but sometimes will be across it.
We were at Chankanaab around 3pm. Hardly any current after we settled in around 40 feet. That first part of the dive I think we dropped in too far from reef, so had to fin over. Was a bit of a current pushing us away. Once at 40, hardly any current, but DM seemed to be in a hurry. My daughter wanted to keep following him and I signaled to come back to me and relax.

1711916581872.png

Good to hear about southerly’s. Maybe won’t get to see Palancar tomorrow. We did snorkel tour this morning and got to see it from above.

Are you her dad or her mom? If you're dad, am afraid that it will be a real challenge to ever burn less air that your daughter, assuming you both maintain similar levels of diving experience. Women cheat - they are born with a set of gills, I'm sure of it. 😜

Back
Top Bottom