Blackbeards and Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kleppta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read a fair bit on Blackbeards and am in the midst of booking a trip for Feb 5th departure.

I have read that alot of people get sea sick.

How bad is it.

Let me qualify this. I never get sea sick. When I was a kid I drank a 26'er of 151 and went finish the next day with 12 ft swells. I was only getting queasy 3 hours in. THat was however 15 years ago. I'm alot older now (alot wiser :wink:

That being said. Does everyone get sick. If I have never needed meds for seasickness before with i need them on this trip?

Kleppta

If you can go out in a boat with a horrific hangover and not puke, you will probably be fine on this cruise. I hate you, by the way.
I went in Nov and about 1/3 of the boat was sick, and just about everyone else was at least a little queasy. The crossing was pretty rough--5' seas.

Should be fun then......I am already booked on that cruise!

Just make sure if you are going to get sick, chum far off the boat not on deck!

No, they won't let you puke over the rail, it's too perilous. They make you sit on the bench and barf on the outer deck. Don't ask me how I know this.

If you just don't get seasick, I think you'd be ok. I'm one of the lucky ones too, I've never taken anything. I haven't been on Blackbeard's but I've been on other rough liveaboard crossings and some other pretty wild rides - and if they let me I'll be the one on the bowsprit enjoying the amusement park ride. Yee haw!

(Of course, the meds don't take much room to carry, you could always take them along and maybe you'll help out someone else who forgets.)

The crossing was so rough when I did blackbeards that it was hard not to roll out of your bunk at first. Me and my buddy took the Pfizer over the counter stuff and slept like babies during the crossing.

The people using the little patches were topside sitting on the back and getting a good purging of the lunches.

Remember, the big danger on the crossing is that you don't have sea legs at first. If the boat rocks while you are standing you might wind up running across the deck and hitting something headfirst and getting a nice cut that requires stitches but you are too stubborn and just take a butterfly bandage and swear to the captain you are fine. Thats a horrible runon sentence but it happened on my boat.

I just went on their New Years 8 day cruise. It was a rough crossing with 12-15ft swells ... the captain said if they had been closer together we would have turned back.

We didn't have that many people get sick. Maybe 3 or 4. I think it really is a hit or miss. Some are more prone than others. It hasn't happened to me yet but, I still took my dramamine and stared at the horizon. Then, I wolfed down 2 huge turkey sandwiches on the way!!

Also, the crew was very willing to let passengers steer the boat. It seemed a good way to focus on the horizon.

I loved the crossing though!! It felt like a great pirate adventure. Arrghh lol
In fact, I loved the whole trip and can't wait to go again!!

Big .02 Bring rain gear!!!!

I booked a Blackbeard trip a year ago last November, & had a great time. The crossing was quite rough, & though I wasn't ralphing on the deck as 1/2 the others were, I was definitely queasy. One word of advise - DO NOT imbibe on the complimentary burgers before the Miami shove off. Grease & motion just don't go hand in hand on the gastric level. I promised my oldest daughter (now 19) that I would take her, so I'm gearing up for a June trip after she gets certified here locally - & I'm definitely bringing some med's this time - just in case.

What no free burgers before the crossing? but it's meat :), free meat!

So what, over the shelf, medication do you guys recommend to take? I have never been sick, nor even queasy on any boat or water conditions, BUT I want to be sure and safe.

Also what happens if the boat has to be turned around due to rough weather? You loose out and they cancel the trip?

I have been told by those that have spent a LOT more time on boats than I have that even people who generally do NOT get seasick, can in a bad sea.

I have spent a LOT of time on boats growing up in OR, and fishing in the Ocean off the coast in small craft. I have done a number of fishing charters on the ocean in larger (50-75') craft. Generally even in the larger boats about 50% of the people who have NEVER gone out to sea get sick. That does not describe you, however that is my experience with NEWBIES on the ocean, all who are sure that it will not happen to them.

There is a reason the captain tells people, if you need to get sick do NOT do it in the head, but rather in the sea.. he knows!

My Cuz spends a LOT of time on larger craft (150') for long durations. She says when the sea's get greater than 15 feet, that even seasoned hands can get sick.

IMO, bring along whatever solution you *think* might help just in case. The meds are generally over the counter, inexpensive, and if you DO get sick, than you have something that *may* help. My dad sometimes get sick, and he uses a patch behind the ear when we go out to sea. Seems to work well.

Ron

Kleppta:
I have read a fair bit on Blackbeards and am in the midst of booking a trip for Feb 5th departure.

I have read that alot of people get sea sick.

How bad is it.

Let me qualify this. I never get sea sick. When I was a kid I drank a 26'er of 151 and went finish the next day with 12 ft swells. I was only getting queasy 3 hours in. THat was however 15 years ago. I'm alot older now (alot wiser :wink:

That being said. Does everyone get sick. If I have never needed meds for seasickness before with i need them on this trip?

Kleppta

Back
Top Bottom