Bit of advice please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Ok so where did I say it was inherently unsafe? I'm pretty sure i just started whats safer? A new reg will always be safer then a 25 yr old reg."

Another incorrect assumption. A properly maintained 1970s Conshelf is just as safe as anything bought off the shelf today. The same can be said for a 1970s ScubaPro or other well maintained reg.

The regulator that the OP was talking about is just as reliable as anything on the market and, internally, is identical to the Titan. The Titan is just the continuation of the Conshelf line with a new name. The Conshelf series uses the same parts kit as the Titan. $150 for a complete Connie setup? I would jump on that in a heartbeat!

sorry i think were going to have to agree to dissagree because a reg with 1 dive on it wont be as safe as a brand new reg. lol its like a car. yes you can keep a car running for 25 yrs but its not as good as abrand new one *Wait let me guess you drive a 82 cutless?

No. a 1999 Suburban. I had a 1986 Suburban that I had completely restored but it was destroyed last September when a woman T-boned us at 75 MPH. If we hadn't been in that Suburban, we would've been killed.

How much to pay? Not much. You can buy a brand new Regulator for about $180 and octo for $89 and the guages.

I have several US Divers regulators with dive computers etc donated to our non-profit and I have taken the gear to 3 shops and told the same there at all three. Parts, you can find them here and there....maybe. All three recommended I investigate the scrap metal or collectors market and perhaps save the dive computers off them.

I don't know which old US divers regs you have but honestly, you can still get parts for those old double hose and I have never had problems getting parts for mine (circa 1972ish). If anyone would bother to actually look at the repair guides they would see that the rebuild kits actually list Conshelf, SEA, Titan - a range that covers about 40 years or so of regulators. The tech at my local shop smiles when I bring in my old stuff-he says he respects the classics and loves just about anything US Divers as he only has to keep a couple of different types of kits on hand to fix most of the the stuff they have put out in the last several decades.

I don't know-maybe you have some stuff that is even older or was rare and uses a different kit. In that case, ebay them or list them here. I am sure you can get scrap prices, maybe better.

OldNSalty the sea/cousteau first stage was sold with the us divers micra adjustable, that's how ours entered our family. 4 lp and 2 hp ports. Same parts as the conshelf as it is basically the same first stage with more ports.

I still don't understand the mindset of folks who think regulators need to be updated/replaced constantly.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Yep-picked up mine when I bought the SEA4 you see in my avator...then I picked up another first stage (DIN) by itself...and finally found a DIN kit for the other :)

I have a problem with buying old gear and assorted parts.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom