Bit of advice please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am counting the SPG as zero worth.

Remember he is also getting a compass (could be crap) and SE2 Octo (a nice second). The OP says this is coming from the owner of a dive shop and is in good condition, so I would expect this is in better shape than the usual ebay reg and ready to dive.

Thanks for the input guys.

To answer: Had a look at the SPG, It is true to North as I checked it against my old Silva Compass.
The cover is a bit beat up on the SPG but not that bad, No visible cracks, that said I have not submerged it.

Both Regs have been used and are scratched but not badly by any means.

Thanks guys, Stay Safe.

SPG points North? Methinks you are confusing your compass with a Submersible Pressure Gauge.

150 is within reason for all that but is a little high IMO.

I don't care if people want to buy used gear. All i know is i see people getting burned by it all the time and when people come in paying 200+$ for relics we have hanging off our wall I wonder what their thinking. Would you buy a used airbag for your car? a 20yr old parachute? If you answer yes all the power too you fill your boots. Hell do i have my regs from 10 yrs ago when i started diving yes! can them even remotly compare to my current regs? No way!! Too each there own!

I don't care if people want to buy used gear. All i know is i see people getting burned by it all the time and when people come in paying 200+$ for relics we have hanging off our wall I wonder what their thinking. Would you buy a used airbag for your car? a 20yr old parachute? If you answer yes all the power too you fill your boots. Hell do i have my regs from 10 yrs ago when i started diving yes! can them even remotly compare to my current regs? No way!! Too each there own!

Same could be said for someone being sold the latest overpriced up to the minute gimmick regulator for $1400.....what were they thinking?

I'm trying to think of the "worst/cheapest" regs from 10 years ago and what has improved since then.
Oceanic Alpha
Sherwood Brut
Scubapro MK2
AquaLung Calypso
Mares R2
All are still in production today, most with little more than a faceplate cover update.....you could even go back 20 years or more and say the same.

My Connie XIV is about to turn 35 and is still awesome. There is no need to replace her with an overpriced modern unit because some LDS with a handful of years in business says so, and many have tried.

(Sarcasm - what are they going to go do sell me a 'new' Titan? Sales kids who don't know their product... - end sarcasm)

That said, I admit I used to bring out my Vader reg from time to time just to remind folks what high performance means. That should be a different thread though.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

To ColdWaterCanada, you said that the old regs can't compare to the new ones. Here's your chance, prove it. I dive warm water in depths up to 100' most of the time. What would I gain by trading in my Conself XIV for a modern reg?

Tell us what relics you have hanging in your shop?

What were your regulators 10 years ago vs what you have today?

Since I started diving i've owned several sets of regs. The main reason I switch up is because I don't feel comfortable selling a product till I've dove it and am able to give experienced based opinions on it. Also because I put any where from 150-250 dives in a year (Which is a lot considering its winter 7 months here lol) So I like to know my regs can be a workhorse.

My first Set of regs was given to me, it was a mares R2 and they sucked. Hard to breath, constant bubbling and just generally garbage, but they where given to me so what ever. The first set I actually bought was a Sherwood Scuba Magnum Regulator with Shadow Plus Octo. It was hard to breath off of in shallow water, free flowed on every ice dive and once you dropped below 100' it was like sipping air through a straw!!

Once I started Divemastering, Instructing, ect I decided to invest in some new gear. Currently My stage regs are Delta 4s. The breathability of them is great for a cheap little rig! I used them as my main regs till I switched to the EOS. Which again is an amazingly versatile reg from the adjustability to the swivel mouth piece! When I lend them to students or let the Boat DM's wash my gear I have no worries with water working its way into my first stage(fdx10)! My other set of teaching regs/rec regs are zegal flatheads! I have about 400 dives on them and they still work like new. Have never had a free flow in the colder days and they are basically bullet proof(I don’t buy into the metal is better theory that old school divers seem to think)

I recently started tec diving and have since picked up the Hollis 212 / DC1 Reg, which I think, will soon be the only reg I dive. It's an amazing reg that comes with 2 HP ports so you can run gauges and a wireless cpu (Much like the FDX10) Are mildly self adjusting at depth and have a wide adjustment range so if you're working harder/colder you can get more air or if your in shallow water you can dial down.

Oldandsalty:

Now not being that familiar with the old Conself XIV and not know what year/design yours is I'd look for an upgrade for a couple reasons or Be cautious of buying a used one. (Again this is just my understanding of the rig don’t bite my head off

1. If it’s a 3/8 pressure port you will have to adapt them if you want to use any type of modern gauges or be forced to purchase custom/uncommon hoses if you needed to replace
2. Only 1 hp port. So if you ever wanted to switch to a wireless computer (But because your all old school divers you prolly never will) you'd have to remove the gauge thus removing your back up.
3. If you wanted to put in a new CPU or wireless gauge you'd again have to adapt or find a 3/8 version of it.
4. You already said warm water so this wouldn’t be an issue but it only has 3 lp ports so cold water a drysuit hose would be out
5. The way the new 1st stages in almost any brand are set up now it makes streamlining easier and generally reduces jaw fatigue.

As far as relics on the wall there my bosses old gear from the 70-80s.m not going to walk around and list it all cause you old boys prolly would try and come buy it ha ha But the shop is 27yrs old so we're not new! And believe it or not we also don't promote servicing your own gear and we tell our students to service it once a year no matter how many dives you do ha ha

*Covers his head and ducks*
scubaboard.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Again to each there own. You guys have been diving your regs for 30 yrs, you know how they have been treated, serviced and such different then buying them used

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom