Bit of advice please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I started diving i've owned several sets of regs. The main reason I switch up is because I don't feel comfortable selling a product till I've dove it and am able to give experienced based opinions on it. Also because I put any where from 150-250 dives in a year (Which is a lot considering its winter 7 months here lol) So I like to know my regs can be a workhorse.

My first Set of regs was given to me, it was a mares R2 and they sucked. Hard to breath, constant bubbling and just generally garbage, but they where given to me so what ever. The first set I actually bought was a Sherwood Scuba Magnum Regulator with Shadow Plus Octo. It was hard to breath off of in shallow water, free flowed on every ice dive and once you dropped below 100' it was like sipping air through a straw!!

Once I started Divemastering, Instructing, ect I decided to invest in some new gear. Currently My stage regs are Delta 4s. The breathability of them is great for a cheap little rig! I used them as my main regs till I switched to the EOS. Which again is an amazingly versatile reg from the adjustability to the swivel mouth piece! When I lend them to students or let the Boat DM's wash my gear I have no worries with water working its way into my first stage(fdx10)! My other set of teaching regs/rec regs are zegal flatheads! I have about 400 dives on them and they still work like new. Have never had a free flow in the colder days and they are basically bullet proof(I don’t buy into the metal is better theory that old school divers seem to think)

I recently started tec diving and have since picked up the Hollis 212 / DC1 Reg, which I think, will soon be the only reg I dive. It's an amazing reg that comes with 2 HP ports so you can run gauges and a wireless cpu (Much like the FDX10) Are mildly self adjusting at depth and have a wide adjustment range so if you're working harder/colder you can get more air or if your in shallow water you can dial down.

Oldandsalty:

Now not being that familiar with the old Conself XIV and not know what year/design yours is I'd look for an upgrade for a couple reasons or Be cautious of buying a used one. (Again this is just my understanding of the rig don’t bite my head off

1. If it’s a 3/8 pressure port you will have to adapt them if you want to use any type of modern gauges or be forced to purchase custom/uncommon hoses if you needed to replace
2. Only 1 hp port. So if you ever wanted to switch to a wireless computer (But because your all old school divers you prolly never will) you'd have to remove the gauge thus removing your back up.
3. If you wanted to put in a new CPU or wireless gauge you'd again have to adapt or find a 3/8 version of it.
4. You already said warm water so this wouldn’t be an issue but it only has 3 lp ports so cold water a drysuit hose would be out
5. The way the new 1st stages in almost any brand are set up now it makes streamlining easier and generally reduces jaw fatigue.

As far as relics on the wall there my bosses old gear from the 70-80s.m not going to walk around and list it all cause you old boys prolly would try and come buy it ha ha But the shop is 27yrs old so we're not new! And believe it or not we also don't promote servicing your own gear and we tell our students to service it once a year no matter how many dives you do ha ha

*Covers his head and ducks*
View attachment 136420

---------- Post Merged at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Again to each there own. You guys have been diving your regs for 30 yrs, you know how they have been treated, serviced and such different then buying them used

You simply are ignorant of the subject.

N

Not flaming you as I see your warning on your profile but Nemrod kind of hit it on the head - none of those were good reasons to buy new. The Conshelf actually makes a pretty good cold water reg from what I am told, the port issue isn't really an issue and I believe lots of folks use a separate Argon bottle for their dry suit. Yes, the conshelf's first stage comes with only one HP port-when I needed 2 I swapped out the first for an SEA first-same internals but a bit different on the outside and an extra HP port-new by my standards-came out in the late 80 or early 90s I think (someone can check me on that) but I suppose out of date by your standards.

There isn't much wrong with the new stuff but when I can buy 4 to 9 or more 'vintage regs' to one new I am not really seeing the advantage.

I guess when one of your quotes is "safety is way overrated" thats enough explanation ha ha

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Hey you asked me all the reasons why I'd tell you, or myself personally wouldn't use that reg! Just cause you don't agree with them doesnt make them bad reasons, there just not reasons that would change your opinion. But with that being said You'd prolly never come into my shop looking for new regs and we'd never actually have this conversation ha ha

As an instructor I tell students what i've learned, what my training tells me, my experences and my opinions. Then its up to them to decide for themselves! One of our stores top instructors still buys every set of daycore regs he can get his hands on, does his own repairs and will argue with me till were both blue in the face that they are the best regs put on the planet!

To each there own!

---------- Post Merged at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:30 PM ----------

plus your average rec diver doesnt carry argon, at least around here(Not just are shop) its mostly the tec divers but Ill accept your point ha ha

How much to pay? Not much. You can buy a brand new Regulator for about $180 and octo for $89 and the guages.

I have several US Divers regulators with dive computers etc donated to our non-profit and I have taken the gear to 3 shops and told the same there at all three. Parts, you can find them here and there....maybe. All three recommended I investigate the scrap metal or collectors market and perhaps save the dive computers off them.

Wait for it pasly your about to get told "The dive shops only said that cause they want to sell you on a newer more expensive unit. You can find parts online, fix them yourself and get another 8500 dives off them" lol

@ coldwatercanada: My Conshelf 14 has a 7/16" HP port, as does my Conshelf 21. The internal parts are the same as in the Titan. The function is the same, only the exterior is different. I prefer my all metal Conshelf second stages because they are more durable and I don't have that dry mouth problem that modern, cheaply-made, plastic second stages have.

Just because a regulator is old does not automatically mean it is worn out. Regulators are meant to last a lifetime and this was especially true of the regulators built in the 1970s and before. My 1959 Aquamaster is just as good, if not better, than when it was new.

Perhaps you should do a little research before you go all "expert" and spout off about a subject on which you are obviously not well informed.

Im pretty sure I said I don't know what age your regs are and have never used them, but my understanding is. They use to be 3/8 and at some point in the early 90's switched to the standard 7/16. There where also adapted kits made so if you picked yours up used someone might have converted it over

---------- Post Merged at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 PM ----------

lol and im pretty i never said i was an expert on that reg.

The adapters of which you speak are metal fittings that the hose is screwed into, then the adapter screws into the reg. They cost about five bucks. My older Connies have the original 3/8" HP ports. My newer ones have the 7/16" HP ports. I have regulators from 1959 through the '90s and all work just as well as, and in some cases better than, some of the current offerings. If you need extra ports, there are high pressure and low pressure Tee fittings that add extra ports.

Your initial claim that used/old regulators are inherently unsafe is false. A properly maintained regulator made in 1975 is just as safe and serviceable as any modern reg.

I'd never buyanything used especially not that old! Especially when you hear stories of OldTimer divers using the wrong service kits to make their stuff diveworthy(Especially in Edmonton) When you can get a brand new coldwater set up thatbreathes better, is more reliable and has a longer life then the one your buyingfor around $1100. Especially withadvancements such as dry valve technology in your first stage and the abilityto adjust your reg on the fly I would have a hard time even paying $100 forthat! Biggest thing I remind newstudents/costumers is it is life support why take chances buying old technology and worn out gear!

Ok so where did I say it was inherently unsafe? I'm pretty sure i just started whats safer? A new reg will always be safer then a 25 yr old reg.

**** i've seen people pay upwards of 300 bucks for the reg this guy wants to buy just to part it out lol what ever! I guess when you bring a reg over on the Bismark it has sentimental value and you just don't want to part with it ha ha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom