Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The vast majority of your post sounded like valid complaints. This one item, however, may have been fully out of his control. The current in this area varies every day, as the gulf-stream moves in & out from shore. Our prevailing current is 2-3 knots north, but I have seen 6N and I have seen 2S. I have also seen zero, more than once. There is just no predicting it. Large areas can be at 3 knots on Tuesday & zero on Wednesday. Current is just a roll of the dice around here, unlike some other places where I have lived.
If the other issues had been handled adequately, I'm sure we would have never heard about the mild current. It was a compelling report.

Everyone has a different experience depending on many factors. Mine was fine and I thought them competent, but then my needs are tantamount to needing a Uber driver out to the reef and back. Apparently, those with greater needs are left disappointed and that's sad.

This!!! If not an engine issue, then this was REALLY bad judgement and poor boat handling. If so, this guy should not be captaining a boat like this ever again!

For whatever reason, the second captain who boarded also went straight for the flybridge because he said he didn't notice the DM who was already at the controls on the regular deck. Apparently that was a very appealing location for both captains.

For whatever reason, the second captain who boarded also went straight for the flybridge because he said he didn't notice the DM who was already at the controls on the regular deck. Apparently that was a very appealing location for both captains.
Arm chair captains are always right and know better than the guys doing the job. I think it has to do with avoiding transitory sand bars and being able to see them a bit more clearly.

Other than Port Everglades, the inlets get dicier as you go north. Hillsboro can be a bit nautical in rough conditions, Boca is worse, Boynton sucks, Jupiter can be quite the experience even on relatively nice days. Problem is that we have created inlets that really never existed as currently designed. Most of those the waves stack up on the sand bar outside the inlet. I've run out of Jupiter on a calm day but had 8-10 foot waves stacking up at the mouth.

Then you add under-powered or single screw boats that, if not careful, can get away from you quick. I have tons of respect for a good captain that can run a single screw boat in a big following sea and keep it straight. I've run boats through those inlets, but I was always lucky to be at the helm of fairly large Bertrams with lots of power and twins so you can used the throttles for most of your control and leave the rudders alone.

The boat I was diving off of on Sunday is a 36ft Newton. The boat i usually dive off of is a 46ft Burpee. One benefit of the smaller Newton was that it is a little quicker. We were able to time the sets and power down when we needed to in order to safely get back into the inlet.

I wonder if Starfish was a little quicker if they would have been able to transit the inlet better?

FWIW, I haven't met the Captain that was thrown from the boat, but Adam and Maggie seem to run a decent op and I have had a good (and safe) trip every time I have been out with them.

FWIW, I haven't met the Captain that was thrown from the boat, but Adam and Maggie seem to run a decent op and I have had a good (and safe) trip every time I have been out with them.

That’s good to hear and I wish them the best of luck.

Arm chair captains are always right and know better than the guys doing the job. I think it has to do with avoiding transitory sand bars and being able to see them a bit more clearly.

:rolleyes: And captains and those who've spent decades on the water know the dangers of flybridges and high seas. This incident is textbook. Maybe some of us aren't arm chair captains and have spent a great deal of time on the water and know what we're talking about.

https://www.boatingmag.com/advantages-flybridge-boats/

Stormy Liabilities
On a beautiful day, nothing is better than skippering from above. On a stormy day, nothing is worse. An upper station is high above the vessel's center of gravity, and the only thing worse than lunging forward through rough seas is wobbling sideways through them with each wave attempting to slingshot you abeam. Trying to come through a sloppy inlet in stormy weather will make you kick yourself for not investing in a second lower station.

The vast majority of your post sounded like valid complaints. This one item, however, may have been fully out of his control. The current in this area varies every day, as the gulf-stream moves in & out from shore. Our prevailing current is 2-3 knots north, but I have seen 6N and I have seen 2S. I have also seen zero, more than once. There is just no predicting it. Large areas can be at 3 knots on Tuesday & zero on Wednesday. Current is just a roll of the dice around here, unlike some other places where I have lived.

I agree with you entirely; none of us can predict with certainty when ideal conditions will be present and when they won’t and, IMO, for a customer to expect otherwise is unrealistic and reflects inexperience. The complaint received air time because the crew Adam chose tried to convince the divers how “totally intense” the drift dive was and Adam concurred. I probably should have clarified that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom