Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the link that Max just posted said the DM had grabbed the lower helm. I bet the skipper who went overboard rethinks using the upper helm in rough seas even tho the visibility is better.

So did the first

This video posted yesterday elsewhere appears to show the vessel lost power? Or steering or nobody was driving it?
Yeah, it doesn't look like he made any action to correct the vessel once it got turned exposing his port side.

Okay, amateur here (in that I have only guided a boat like this once, but it was dead nuts calm and decades ago), but who is stupid enough to try this in the first place?

Do we not check the sea conditions in advance?

Yeah, it doesn't look like he made any action to correct the vessel once it got turned exposing his port side.

In one of the videos you can see him aggressively turning the wheel .

I'm no captain but can't figure out why he was side on from the outset

Okay, amateur here (in that I have only guided a boat like this once, but it was dead nuts calm and decades ago), but who is stupid enough to try this in the first place?

Video has owner speaking to that

It’s well known in the business that if the boat leaves the dock, the trip is fully earned if it turned around for weather. Some boat owners will send their boats to the jetties to say “whelp, it’s too rough to dive, but you can’t say we didn’t try”. I’m not saying that’s the case here. But I’ve heard of it happening. A dirty little secret.

Sea can be calm (not saying they were), but depending on tides those S. Fla. inlets can be treacherous. Boynton seems to have claimed a lot of lives. It's also technically not an inlet, rather a drainage ditch people use as an inlet.

Back
Top Bottom