Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The skipper was rescued by jet skiers while another captain on a surfboard boarded the boat to steer it to dock. See video: https://cbs12.com/news/local/large-swells-close-pier-structures-cause-close-call-for-boaters

upload_2019-11-18_17-26-49.png

They are lucky the boat didn't capsize, and that's what happens when you're on the flybridge in big seas or in this case taking inlet waves to the beam. That's the last position you want to be in in an inlet. How the hell did he end up like that? Almost looked like he didn't have power.

I can't tell what boat that is, but I was surprised to find many of the Newton boats in South Florida do not have lower helm stations. I guess they figure they'd never be out in big waves... Until they are.

They are lucky the boat didn't capsize, and that's what happens when you're on the flybridge in big seas or in this case taking inlet waves to the beam. That's the last position you want to be in in an inlet. How the hell did he end up like that? Almost looked like he didn't have power.

I can't tell what boat that is, but I was surprised to find many of the Newton boats in South Florida do not have lower helm stations. I guess they figure they'd never be out in big waves... Until they are.

This boat did have a lower.

This!!! If not an engine issue, then this was REALLY bad judgement and poor boat handling. If so, this guy should not be captaining a boat like this ever again!

Better video in this thread post:

Back in Boynton Beach again

The boat is a 34ft Crusader.

I was out on the water yesterday (out of Hilsboro Inlet, not the Boynton Inlet) and it was a pretty wild ride in/out of the inlet.

I havent talked to anyone on the boat yesterday to confirm, but it did seem that they lost power or were having some sort of issue. The boat was getting tossed around outside the inlet in an area it should not have been in.

Also lucky that the boat with the remaining passengers didnt get tossed into the jetties.

What is the observer saying, please?

Oh no oh no
He's on ?
He's on ?

"He's out of the tower...."

-K

This boat did have a lower.
Yes, the link that Max just posted said the DM had grabbed the lower helm. I bet the skipper who went overboard rethinks using the upper helm in rough seas even tho the visibility is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom