Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No storm but my trip in Clearwater got cancelled Sunday, 4' seas and 20kt winds in the GOM. Front moved through. Atlantic usually pgets it much worse .
The captains who run out of Clearwater are known for avoiding even small seas. Generally, anything over 2' and it's a cxl.

Watching Bradley get the heave-ho off the bridge reminded me of when I used to drive a dive boat out of Waianae on Oahu. In the winter, the swells rolled in straight out of Siberia so the sets could get pretty intense.
I had a pair of big Cummins BT diesels so coming back to port, I’d line up south of the surfers and wait out the sets for my turn.
When I had my window, I would blast the horns and engines and go sliding downhill cutting in to the north to glide right into the harbor.
Piece of cake compared to Boynton inlet.
I like diving with Starfish but Boynton inlet is one nastyass piece of work to navigate in rising seas. When I had my boat before it went to Tobago, that inlet was almost always a PITA, and I had 500 horsepower on the stern.
Starfish is a pretty pokey boat and that damn low rail under the bridge gets me at least once per trip, but hey, the Mai Tais at the Two Georges help a bunch, when it’s not flooded.

Attachments

• 3964FA7B-2BF2-4E2E-A551-5ABEC0BAA150.jpeg
    3964FA7B-2BF2-4E2E-A551-5ABEC0BAA150.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 104

Back
Top Bottom