Best mask for photography? I currently wear readers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nanohawk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried the Scuba Pro Zoom mask and it's associated readers. It worked great for reading my gauges, but photography was very challenging. It was a contorionist project to use my camera with the readers. I need to fix this.

My eyes are at the point where I could just start to use progressives, but I don't like them so I've stuck with my single magnification readers. They work well for anything mid-arm's length out to about 12 or so feet above ground.
I enjoy macro photography and particularly enjoy seeing the image on the preview screen.

What are others with similar vision challenges doing?
It looks like most of the diopter lenses are for nearsightedness (negative diopters) and not farsightedness.
I don't plan to abandon my zoom mask, it's fine for non-photography dives. It's just not going to work for macro and critter hunting where I need good vision of the reef/coral nearest to me.

You have several options depending on exactly what you are looking for.

Some manufacturer have + diopter corrective readers that cover a much larger section of the lens than your Zooms. For example:

If you want the entire lens to be a + prescription. You can get them in a few models. For example from Promate. My son uses one and it works well. They also have an option for lenses with just + gauge readers. This is the bargain option if you want to experiment.

Also from Ist

Finally, you can get lenses made to any prescription that are then bonded to almost any mask (you can send them your mask if you want). This is what I use with my very high + prescription bifocals. Mine are made by:

Getwetstore's selection is very confusing. They list both kinds but the drop downs don't let you select whether it's a gauge reader or full lens.
I also searched the threads on this and looked at SeaVision and Prescription Dive Masks. PDM has a 28 day lead time plus shipping. Honestly not any cheaper than SeaVision. I'm going to call SeaVision tomorrow and see what their suggestions are.
In the meanwhile, my Zoom came with plano glass so I'm going to buy one of these MagniView diopters +2 and see if I can put it where I think it needs to be so that I can use my camera. It's only $28 plus $1 shipping, so it's no big loss if it's not as expected. https://amzn.to/3mEUpjh

Getwetstore's selection is very confusing. They list both kinds but the drop downs don't let you select whether it's a gauge reader or full lens.
It should. Here's a screenshot from the drop down for the Promate Scope.
Screenshot_20220612-211924-588.png

I also searched the threads on this and looked at SeaVision and Prescription Dive Masks. PDM has a 28 day lead time plus shipping. Honestly not any cheaper than SeaVision. I'm going to call SeaVision tomorrow and see what their suggestions are.
I have not tried SeaVision because they can't make masks in my prescription. IIRC they are limited to +4 for farsighted lenses.

Before you order anything, figure out the distance from your eye to your camera controls and then head out to a pharmacy and experiment with some readers.

If your presbyopia isn't bad yet, you might be able to find a single prescription that will allow you to read your camera controls, see the critters at the distances you are interested in, and still have enough distance vision to do a successful dive.

If not, you are going to need bifocals. Trying on different strength readers will allow you to pinpoint what strength you will need for each section.

If you go to an optometrist for a prescription, make sure you get one for the distances you are interested in. The standard distance for a reading prescription may be too close and the distant part too far. Just explain what you need it for and they'll help you out.

I recently acquired Scubapro d-mask, it is designed to be modular, so, very easy to exchange the lenses. I have presbiopia, I ordered 2 sets of + diopter bifocals, 1 for using with contact lenses another one for using without contact lenses, contact lenses have -diopter. Mask it self is a bit expensive but lenses are cheaper, so, somewhat all ended up reasonable. It is a very comfortable mask, so am pretty happy with the mask even without corrective lenses. If your presbiopia is not yet too progressed, you might get away like I did with standard masks.

Also, some cameras allow you to zoom in on the EVF.

SeaVisionUSA does positive diopters up to +2.0 in both bifocal and single vision. Best prescription mask I've tried yet. My eyes shift a lot so I'm on my fourth mask with them. My daughter uses them as well.

Try contact lenses. It has made a world of difference for me. I have one for distance, one for up close.

Back
Top Bottom