Question Best way to add readers to a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have experienced eyes, and need some assistance to read small print (or look at small critters up close). I have a mask that came with reading lenses installed, I can read great with it, but the fit is marginal and I periodically have to clear out accumulating water.

I have another mask that fits perfect, but has no readers. I would like to upgrade it so I have the best of both worlds.

I have experienced eyes, and need some assistance to read small print (or look at small critters up close). I have a mask that came with reading lenses installed, I can read great with it, but the fit is marginal and I periodically have to clear out accumulating water.

I have another mask that fits perfect, but has no readers. I would like to upgrade it so I have the best of both worlds.
I use stick on readers with a touch of silicone caulk to secure them in place once I figure out the best place for the stick on lenses.

I gave up on those, I keep losing them.
That’s what the drop of caulk is for, to keep them in place. Just on the edge.

Changed my life!!
Are you nearsighted or farsighted? I like the idea of a custom mask, but I'm not yet sure my mask is a "forever mask" as it leaks a bit with a reg in and when my head is in certain positions. I hesitate to spend the money customizing this mask if I will move to a different one in a year or two.

Which brand of lenses and caulk have you found to work well? Thanks.
I think it’s trident, but I’ve also used those designed for sunglasses. The latter are a bit smaller in area. I’ve used the tube of silicone caulk from the hardware store for bathrooms and just put a dot on each corner edge with a toothpick and then pulled it along the edge. My latest is putting them on a premade prescription insert to make my own bifocals.

Are you nearsighted or farsighted? I like the idea of a custom mask, but I'm not yet sure my mask is a "forever mask" as it leaks a bit with a reg in and when my head is in certain positions. I hesitate to spend the money customizing this mask if I will move to a different one in a year or two.
I would never use a mask I didn't love and didn't fit me properly. It is too important to me to be able to see and I don't want to have to deal with a leaky mask. It is a big investment so make sure you have the mask you love! I am farsighted with astigmatism. I started with readers many years ago and still have that mask after 100s of dives. I have just recently upgraded to stronger lenses. Getting old sucks!!!!

I would never use a mask I didn't love and didn't fit me properly. It is too important to me to be able to see and I don't want to have to deal with a leaky mask. It is a big investment so make sure you have the mask you love! I am farsighted with astigmatism. I started with readers many years ago and still have that mask after 100s of dives. I have just recently upgraded to stronger lenses. Getting old sucks!!!!
I tried many masks and this ScubaPro fit me best in the shop. It passes the “hold vacuum on your face test” with nothing in my mouth. It is dry snorkeling, but with a regulator in and my head in some positions I can get some ingress. I just got an Atomic reg, which may fix the problem due to light weight 2nd stage and it’s mouthpiece. I plan a couple check out dives in the coming weeks to see how everything works together now.

Not a huge deal, but enough to give pause before spending another $150 on customizing the lens. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom