Best Dry Glove Ring System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My KUBI rings came in today, the 80mm ones.

I was a little worried as my hands don't quite fit into a 80mm hole. The smallest ring is 82mm, and my hand fits in pretty well.

Hope to get them in use this weekend

BRad

My KUBI rings came in today, the 80mm ones.

I was a little worried as my hands don't quite fit into a 80mm hole. The smallest ring is 82mm, and my hand fits in pretty well.

Hope to get them in use this weekend

BRad

Me too, I swapped out the thin gloves they came with with some Showa 620 gloves, thanks Steve. I too will report back after this weekend. Good luck with yours.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 11:35 PM ----------

Did a mini leak test today with Showa gloves installed, all good. But what a %#^## to get on and off. Despite instructions saying otherwise I'm going yo apply a thin coating of grease on the O ring. No joke, it was a nightmare to mate glove ring and cuff ring, ditto removing, wow. Maybe it's my technique or lack of.

Whoops, I thought i mentioned to add a light smearing of silicone grease and I mean light to the o-rings. Whomever wrote their instructions has no clue. Saliva will do the trick but you have to get enough onto the o-ring or they result in difficult to get off. I found this out the hard way and hadn't hooked up my p-valve it was a mad rush and I thought I was going to have to cut myself out of the suit.

This is a common issue with all the dry glove rings, they all mention adding a light smear of lube to the o-rings. These one seem to be a bit tighter tolerance then others and a slight smear will save you a lot of grief.

I
Me too, I swapped out the thin gloves they came with with some Showa 620 gloves, thanks Steve. I too will report back after this weekend. Good luck with yours.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 11:35 PM ----------

Did a mini leak test today with Showa gloves installed, all good. But what a %#^## to get on and off. Despite instructions saying otherwise I'm going yo apply a thin coating of grease on the O ring. No joke, it was a nightmare to mate glove ring and cuff ring, ditto removing, wow. Maybe it's my technique or lack of.

I am Currently looking for dry glove options on my future DS, and came across the si-tec Antares / QCS Ovals, and was wondering if anyone with either of these have been able to use Marigolds, or another stretch-over type glove on these cuffs? If say, the tabs break off the antares glove ring, would a pull over be a feasible backup? Pretty much everyone out of my LDS dives marigolds and likes them, but i have never seen or heard of anyone around with Oval cuffs.

Well my personal experience with the oval cuffs is limited to the diveshop floor, but I would not use these at all, they appear to be simple but those little plastic tabs didn't seem to be very durable. You would be much better served if you are using the pull over gloves like the marigolds with the viking classic rings or the si-tec equivalent system, I believe they can be adapted with an extra part to have quick change seals as well. No need to use an o-ring or electrical tape to retain the gloves onto the system either, just pull the glove over and go. The rings install on your existing seals in minutes and is what I used for years until i found the kubi rings as they were lower profile (not nearly as thick on the arms) than many of the other options out there and i hated the diving concept rings because I couldn't get my hands out of them after my hands were through the rings very easily, made for some interesting getting undressed situations.

The benefit of the oval ring system is you can change out your seals in minutes. I only have a quick change system on my neck seal, the wrists I install myself an they can be done in 30 mins with the glue and a piece of fine grit sand paper and one beverage, necks are a bit more finicky with aligning them and require 2-3 beverages during the process. Regardless a couple of hours later they are good to go, normally one should wait about 12 hours for the glue to fully cure, but if I was in a pinch I would wait an hour and go diving, sure it is not as fast as the quick cuff system but then again the only seals I have split were the neck seals and that was the silicone ones (we had a bad batch up here on the island, I went through 5 in a month if I remember correctly). I have dove with the glove systems installed on wrist seals where the wrist seal was in pieces and the cuff system was all that was holding them together.

Anyways, bit off topic but hope that helps.

--------

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

Cotton backed gloves can be used on a pull over system, one just needs to be a bit creative and install them before they get into the suit.

The method is to basically fold the end of the glove over an o-ring (think dc rings o-ring size, something with a big diameter and thick). Placed the o-ring into the glove, then fold over the end of the glove over the o-ring. This should result in about 1-2 inches of material folded over the o-ring and the cotton is not visible or is against the o-ring. Then take the glove and stuff the ring down into the glove. Make sure the o-ring is past the portion on the ring system that is the retainer (usually a lip of some sort). Grasp the glove-ring in two hands and proceed to pull up and over the ring system and past the retaining ring.

Basically the rubber side of the glove will now be sealed to the cuff by the o-ring, this is how diving concept and Kubi gloves are sealed to the rings, then they just install a cover ring/protection layer to prevent the glove from being cut/nicked in that area as the gloves are exposed. Keep in mind the gloves need to have a large enough cuff to do this as they only stretch a bit and normal dry glove rings are quite large in comparison.

As said, any glove that has a fabric layer on the inside cannot be used as a pull-over glove.

I've used the SiTech Quick Glove system. It's annoying to get seated properly at the beginning of the dive, being very sensitive to precise alignment of the two parts, and being very awkward to close if you have small hands. There is a learning curve with it, and I did eventually figure out how to have dry dives. The glove CAN pop off if your equalization method fails on ascent.

I've helped friends with the Antares system, and I cannot recommend it.

Personally, after everything I've tried, I keep coming back to the Vikings. If you don't close them more than 1/2 inch, and use your teeth to open them, they aren't bad at all. And they rarely leak.

As promised, just got back from my first dive with the Kubi dry gloves. Despite Kubis instructions stating otherwise I very lightly lubed the O ring. Donning and doffing one handed was a breeze. I used some 3mm fish tank tubing to equalize. I fitted some Showa 620 gloves in place of the standard marigolds. All worked well no leaks. Based on my experience so far I'd recommend them.

Once again thanks Steve for all your help it was invaluable. Cheers.

Half a dozen dives for me with the new system. No lube, no problems with the ribs not coming apart when I want them too.

Indestructible (as far as rings go) and watertight.

BRad

Where did you guys pick up your Kubi systems?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom