Best Dry Glove Ring System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've helped friends with the Antares system, and I cannot recommend it.

What is the problem with Antares? My dive store recommends it as an awesome system and I considered to install it on my wife's drysuit?

I have the SiTech Quick Gloves system. Initially it was difficult to seat them but then I got a lubricant stick which is much softer, almost melting in fingers. Now the gloves are esy to put on and take off. It is true, however, that you must be careful with the oring as it easely moves out of its seat. Some people recommend to use a tad smaller orings.

What is the problem with Antares? My dive store recommends it as an awesome system and I considered to install it on my wife's drysuit?

I think the main complaints are:

1. They are pretty tight to get into if you have big hands. I have big hands, and I figured out a good technique for reliably wiggling my hand through the rings without pushing the assembly apart. The plus side of this is that the rings have a nice low profile. Trimming the gloves back after you install them on the rings is important for smooth donning.

2. The locking "tabs" are fragile. They will fail to lock the glove in place if you don't take care of them and prevent them from getting bent. I keep my gloves in a rigid plastic storage box when I'm not wearing them, to protect the tabs and rings.

3. Some people have trouble mounting the gloves on the rings. (I did on my first try.) It's important to pick the right color of inner ring for your glove thickness, and to press the inner rings in carefully from the proper direction without tearing the glove.

Complaints about glove tearing/holes/leaking would be specific to the gloves themselves, not Antares. I've had no problems yet with my DRIS 660 blue gloves, which are very sturdy.

Thanks, SanDiegoSidemount! Good points. I was wondering about how to get them off when the tabs lock deep inside the rings. They say to squeeze the glove in the fist and then turn the hand. I hope, it works. :)

Thanks, SanDiegoSidemount! Good points. I was wondering about how to get them off when the tabs lock deep inside the rings. They say to squeeze the glove in the fist and then turn the hand. I hope, it works. :)

This works well if you have big hands. If you have smaller hands, you may need to twist the ring from the outside with your other hand, or pull your hand firmly backward into the ring before making your fist. It seems like everyone finds their own best way to pop them off.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

Also to be clear, I'm not asserting that Antares is the "best" system, since it's the only one I've used.

I'm only saying that I've had good luck with my setup, and avoided most of the problems people complain about by taking care of the tabs, and donning them slowly and carefully.

Some people recommend to use a tad smaller orings.

In technical terms, the tad smaller o-ring is a size -153, available from McMaster for around $10+shipping for 50 of them. I highly recommend replacing the o-rings with the "proper" size, it makes the system much more user friendly.

I'll second the KUBI system, I have been using these for just a bout a year and they are the best system out there. I have tried, si-tec, viking, diving concept, zip gloves and a score of others, these are hands down the smallest profile and take up the least amount of real-estate. I did a write up on the deco stop and again I think on CCR explorers regarding them. They are basically a copy of the diving concept rings(same style) but smaller profile and reversed.

The instructions state you cannot use cotton backed gloves with the system, or they did, but that is BS, I have set mine up with them and guided countless others through the same process.

Talk to Mike at DRIS, he set me up with a few pair of them for my GF and I and we have been raving about them ever since. No affiliation with DRIS, we just love this product.

Feel free to PM me about them and I will talk to you about how to set them up.

Regards

Steve

I'll second the KUBI system, I have been using these for just a bout a year and they are the best system out there. I have tried, si-tec, viking, diving concept, zip gloves and a score of others, these are hands down the smallest profile and take up the least amount of real-estate. I did a write up on the deco stop and again I think on CCR explorers regarding them. They are basically a copy of the diving concept rings(same style) but smaller profile and reversed.

The instructions state you cannot use cotton backed gloves with the system, or they did, but that is BS, I have set mine up with them and guided countless others through the same process.

Talk to Mike at DRIS, he set me up with a few pair of them for my GF and I and we have been raving about them ever since. No affiliation with DRIS, we just love this product.

Feel free to PM me about them and I will talk to you about how to set them up.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I PM'd you via the deco stop a few weeks ago but I guess you don't check that site so much. I'll copy the PM and send to you here.

I bought the Kubi rings from DRIS. They didn't come with any instructions and the gloves had been assembled. After some head scratching and conflicting info I released they had been assembled incorrectly i.e the gloves had been pre attached to the suit cuff ring. It seems UTD made an error. One of the gloves that came with the set was damaged as was the zip on the case but Mike got onto sorting this out for me in lightning speed, thanks Mike.

I also bought some thicker orange Showa gloves but cannot get them on as they do seem too thick, I did try doing it as you suggested over on DS but have had no joy so far. Any pointers or tips would be appreciated. Cheers.

Responded by PM

Thanks Steve, I can now concur that you can in fact use cotton backed gloves with the Kubi rings. Maybe you should write the manual your instructions were very easy to follow. Thanks again. I owe you one.

Diving Concepts ring system never fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom