Best Dry Glove Ring System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Carcharodon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you suggest as a dry glove ring system? I’ve been using the Viking bayonet rings and they can be pain to get off after the dive. Otherwise they are pretty good. They don't leak often (sometimes the o-ring gets unseated), and they take inexpensive Atlas gloves which are easy to install.

One of my friends uses Diving Concepts rings, but they have been bankrupt for a year so they are not an option. Si-tech has several options, but again people report them being hard to remove. So what is the best way to go if you want to install rings on existing latex cuffs?

I have used all that you just listed. Forget the Antares system from Si-Tech which is my current dry ring system. My favorites are the Viking system, but they can not be used with a permanent wrist ring system for changeable wrist seals. That leaves the regular Si-Tech system which is what I would call my favorite system for changeable wrist seals.

Last edited:
I can't answer that with absolute certainty. My gloves are black with excellent elasticity. I doubt the atlas style gloves have the elasticity to stretch over the cuffs.These are the links to the system that I and several other folks I dive with use:

Rings:
Si Tech Rubber Pullover Dry Glove Rings | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Here's a link to the pull over gloves: Pullover Rubber Gloves for Dry Glove System

Here's a link for the glove liners: DRIS Dive Gear Fleece Dry Glove Liner | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I'm about to drop a silly amount of money on the Kubi/UTD gloves I'll let you know how I get on.

Can Atlas 495 gloves be used with the viking classic rings?

Lined gloves do not work with the Viking Classic rubber rings as a pullover type glove. You must use either the long cuff latex gloves or the long cuff suregrip textured gloves in this application.

HOWEVER.

You may have success sandwiching them in the seal ring... I did this with some Ansell Solvex gloves. Sealed great, excellent dexterity (thin chemical gloves).

As said, any glove that has a fabric layer on the inside cannot be used as a pull-over glove.

I've used the SiTech Quick Glove system. It's annoying to get seated properly at the beginning of the dive, being very sensitive to precise alignment of the two parts, and being very awkward to close if you have small hands. There is a learning curve with it, and I did eventually figure out how to have dry dives. The glove CAN pop off if your equalization method fails on ascent.

I've helped friends with the Antares system, and I cannot recommend it.

Personally, after everything I've tried, I keep coming back to the Vikings. If you don't close them more than 1/2 inch, and use your teeth to open them, they aren't bad at all. And they rarely leak.

If you don't close them more than 1/2 inch, and use your teeth to open them, they aren't bad at all. And they rarely leak.

I must be over tightening them since there is no way I could get my jaw around the two tabs. I'm not sure I would want to in any case since that seems like a good way to make a dental insurance claim. But it definitely provides a new perspective.

Somewhat tangentially Parker has this static friction estimator: http://www.parker.com/literature/O-Ring Division Literature/Static Files/frictionestimation.pdf It seems pretty reasonable to expect that 50 pounds of force would be required to start the rings moving which explains why it is so hard to get the rings off. There are a couple design changes that could help like changing the rubber hardness and putting in a stop to prevent over compressing the o-ring.

I have never seen the viking system, but have used si tech twist lock system for almost 3 years and they will work flawlessly if you keep sand out and lube the joints regularly. I use atlas gloves with them $3 at any farm store or $15 for the fleece lined ones. Scissors are required to trim the liner to the correct length. Again take care to keep the fuzzies out of the o ring. I prefer to buy gloves a size larger and wear a seperate liner. Similarly I use a string, sml hose or I have used coffee straws to help with equalization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom