Best Certification Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off, I want to start by saying I don't want this to turn into a rivalry thread, if it does, I won't have any issues with a moderator closing/deleting it.

I've seen a lot of people talking bad about one agency or another on the boards, both about the training they offer and about the way they're organized in general. I'm looking to get my AOW soon, and after that I'm hoping to take Nitrox and a few other specialties. I don't have any kind of loyalty to one outfit or another, but I earned my OW through PADI, now that I'm looking into more advanced education, I'd like to hear what you guys think is the best agency out there.

My local shops are both only PADI, and there's only one NAUI place in Montana, I'm not aware of (but haven't exactly looked) any other outfits existing here. Let me know about your good and bad experiences with one agency over another, but like I said, please don't start a war on who's better or worse.

can only second that. make sure you do some good research about the instr teaching the class! you will be fine, i have seen "good and bad" divers of all of them.

by the way, you poss will start a slamming and trolling thread with that kind of question!

bowmouth and lsdeep are correct. dont make the mistake of shopping for agencies before instructors. people comprise and agency and most likely you will have good and qualified instructors but thats not always the case. you can get very lucky and unlucky. such is life.

my advice is ask around and get feedback from people you know. go instructor shopping and meet with the person. ask the instructor all the questions you want and if you think that the person is ok, or that you jive then go for it. the agency is socondary.

Sounds like solid advice. One thing I was really looking at is that PADI doesn't offer an advanced nitrox course, where some (most?) others do.

What suggestions would you have in how to compare instructors? I only know one other diver locally, and where she's a good friend, she also happens to work at the shop I plan to go through. Like I said, I'm looking to further my education so I feel more comfortable in the water, regardless of the conditions or situation. I really don't want or care about more cards, I'm just looking for the best education possible, and with only two local shops (one charging substantially more and far less friendly service) the options are somewhat limited.

Cheetah223:
Sounds like solid advice. One thing I was really looking at is that PADI doesn't offer an advanced nitrox course, where some (most?) others do. .

A similar type course is offered in Padi's tech branch, DSAT-TecRec. That is a technical course.

Cheetah223:
What suggestions would you have in how to compare instructors? I only know one other diver locally, and where she's a good friend, she also happens to work at the shop I plan to go through. Like I said, I'm looking to further my education so I feel more comfortable in the water, regardless of the conditions or situation. I really don't want or care about more cards, I'm just looking for the best education possible, and with only two local shops (one charging substantially more and far less friendly service) the options are somewhat limited.

How often do they dive, what types of diving and at what level have they/do they do, regularly. What do former/current students think of them and their training.

Unfortunately it's a little tough to tell from where you're standing at the moment, so it is a bit of a leap of faith to a point.

Maybe just go do some diving with the prospects first to see which ones you're more comfortable with first.

It would be my preference to train with an Instructor that has had different training with multiple agencies, but that's a personal opinion. To me they tend to have a broader view of the sport.

Good luck.

Cheetah223:

What the standards are and what is taught are two very different things. The reputation or quality of a agency is irrelevent if the instructor is not following the guidelines. (happens much more often than you would think) I'm a PADI and NAUI instructor and think both are great and both have room for improvement but the bottom line is what happens underwater or in the pool at 9 o'clock at night when no one is looking. If you feel limited about your choice of instruction, you may want to look into a private instructor from a reputable agency. If they have been in business for a long time, they are probaby doing a good job since they survive mostly on their reputation. Yes, it will be more expensive, but we are talking about your life right? Look for someone honest that you can trust. If they don't have the time or patience to answer questions like "does everyone pee in their wetsuits?" or "how often do divers get attacked by sharks", I wouldn't let them teach me. From which agency? That would be the last of my concerns. Just my opinion.

Los Angeles County of course... but we haven't annexed Montana yet.

The advice re: shopping for an instructor rather than an agency is good advice. There are great ones... and "not so great" ones in most agencies.

well, it would help to find some local divers and their recommandations abot local instructors! if your choice is very limited / non existant and you cant find any positive response of others, just ask your instr. to be for some of his students and regular divers to meet (if he is any good - there will be no problem at all) he might invite you to join a dive (non - cert) to meet a bunch of his students in training / former students / regular divers. he will definately have the time to answer your questions (whatever they are and how useful / stupid) and give you some advice upfront. be aware if it starts like a used car sale! anyway - as far as advanced nitrox goes, dont think about that now! first you do your nitrox course (and know a lot more), then you start to consider the next step! you know its like one foot in front of the other - instead of trying to jump up the hill and fall deep :wink:

Back
Top Bottom