Best Certification Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last time that happened, PADI sued both the guy who posted them and the forum that hosted his article ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be reason enough for me to look somewhere else for certification.

Any specific written version can be copyrighted, but the standards themselves can't be protected from dissemination except by not telling anyone else what they are. Was the guy dumb enough to just post a verbatim copy of the standards?

(The) one good thing about the DMCA is that the forum is certainly off the hook. What happened with the case?

It was more complicated than that.

I never saw the original web site so I can't be much more specific, but the guy who did it used to be one of ScubaBoard's most prolific posters, and he wrote about it very often. If you want to search through his many thousands of posts to see the ones devoted to it, you can do that. His user name is Walter.

He created a web site comparing different agencies, much as this thread is supposedly trying to do. He ultimately won the case.

He created a web site comparing different agencies

Then of course he was sued. People would have had the opportunity to make an informed choice when going for a diving course and not choose based on hard thought marketing!

Before people get too excited about this topic, I would like to point out that it has been more than 8 years since this thread ended before it was resurrected again.

And the OP hasn't been here on SB for over a year. Maybe he picked an Agency, maybe he just wanted a Cert to buy compressed air to play paintball. Check the profile.

... actually, there was no question in the original post ...

Yet somehow it compels some posters to answer.

...Old zombie thread, or new, any good advice offered here is still of value to new readers seeking to learn....

A treasure trove of information so far. A hint of PADI bashing. I think we've got it all. Boffo!

I'm stickin' with my answer, it was as relevant as anything else:

CDP

Chicks dig patches

CDP

Chicks dig patches

... the world's most expensive hoodie ... what's that IANTD patch doing on there?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... the world's most expensive hoodie ... what's that IANTD patch doing on there?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He traded it for 3 Distinctive Specialty patches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom