Best area for family vacation (7 & 9 y/o snorklers - scuba diving parents)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Jupiter diving, but it tends to be drift diving, and deep (trip report with description). If you haven't cleared 25 dives yet, might not be what you're after. Oh, and for good dive times plan on nitrox.

I'm told West Palm Beach diving tends to be not as keep, still drift, viz. maybe a little better on average?

Either would put you fairly close to Blue Heron Bridge, shallow muck diving that's highly regarded (haven't got to try it myself).

How far are you willing to roam one or two days to get in a desired activity?

Oh, most beaches I've seen aren't littered with sea shells, so a lot of otherwise nice beach destinations may not fulfill the dream, depending on what the kid expects.

Richard.

I like Jupiter diving, but it tends to be drift diving, and deep (trip report with description). If you haven't cleared 25 dives yet, might not be what you're after. Oh, and for good dive times plan on nitrox.

I'm told West Palm Beach diving tends to be not as keep, still drift, viz. maybe a little better on average?

Either would put you fairly close to Blue Heron Bridge, shallow muck diving that's highly regarded (haven't got to try it myself).

How far are you willing to roam one or two days to get in a desired activity?

Oh, most beaches I've seen aren't littered with sea shells, so a lot of otherwise nice beach destinations may not fulfill the dream, depending on what the kid expects.

Richard.
Probably a 3-4 hour drive. I follow the Jupiter Diving team on Facebook. I'll definitely be looking them up some day. I'm ready for it. My wife needs a few more dives under her belt.

I
Either would put you fairly close to Blue Heron Bridge, shallow muck diving

I would not call BHB muck diving. It is more a shallow sloping beach with bridge supports and some other stuff. Especially if you snorkel around the bridge pilings. Stuff out on the flats too. Just have to plan to go with the slack high tides. Bottom is sand. I did not see much of an issue with silt when I dove it. Good variety of fish life.

Work in manatees if you can. Its a snorkel and kids will love it. My wife sat in the boat while I snorkeled and a young one swam right up to here. Rainbow river, a no swimmer can ride along and watch the snorkelers in crystal clear spring water.

A lot of great ideas on tis thread. I just had a similar situation with my family. One way I tried to deal with this situation by staying at a Bech resort in Miami and the kids could swim, collect shells and explore the water. Family enjoyed spending time on the Beach and trying out the local restaurants. My wife and I enjoy diving so we organized a trip to Key Largo , Ocean Divers , where the kids snorkeled the reef at the same time we did our dives. It helped having healthy grandparent snorkeling with them while we did our dives. While in Miami I worked with South Beach dive and surf shop to organzine additional dives. Overall it was a nice experience for the entire family. I've done the Jupiter area in the past and after reading this thread I'll have to try out these other areas as well. The BHB and Singer Island Mariott may be an option; especially since Stuarts charter is nearby. Great thread.

A lot of great ideas on tis thread. I just had a similar situation with my family. One way I tried to deal with this situation by staying at a Bech resort in Miami and the kids could swim, collect shells and explore the water. Family enjoyed spending time on the Beach and trying out the local restaurants. My wife and I enjoy diving so we organized a trip to Key Largo , Ocean Divers , where the kids snorkeled the reef at the same time we did our dives. It helped having healthy grandparent snorkeling with them while we did our dives. While in Miami I worked with South Beach dive and surf shop to organzine additional dives. Overall it was a nice experience for the entire family. I've done the Jupiter area in the past and after reading this thread I'll have to try out these other areas as well. The BHB and Singer Island Mariott may be an option; especially since Stuarts charter is nearby. Great thread.
Reading Tripadvisor reviews of Singer Island Mariott isn't great right now. Seems like the construction that they have going on next door is KILLING the experience. > 50% of the recent reviews are awful. I always take things with a grain of salt...but has anybody here been there recently?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom