Best area for family vacation (7 & 9 y/o snorklers - scuba diving parents)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason

Not an Angel
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, everyone. I've searched through the archives and have read through some old threads. But thought I'd post here to get some opinions.

We're planning to take our two boys (7 & 9) to Florida in October. They both LOVE the water and have dreams of "looking for seashells on the beach". My 9 year old loves snorkeling and scuba rangers. My 7 year old is a novice snorkler, but loves it and loves swimming.

I'm looking for the best area in Florida that I can combine

1. Seashells on a beach :)
  2. Snorkeling for the entire family (No or short boat ride. Very easy for a 7 year old.)
  3. Possible scuba diving for mom and dad (we'd figure out child care).
These might not all be at the same place. We're not opposed to relocating in the middle of the trip, but would prefer not to have to drive clear across Florida.

If we have to manufacture (drop) seashells on a good beach...we're not above that. :D

Let me know what you think.

Middle/lower Florida keys or Singer Island Marriott in West Palm beach would fit all those requirements.

Middle/lower Florida keys or Singer Island Marriott in West Palm beach would fit all those requirements.
Thanks! Any particular snorkel sites that I can research? Or operations that I can contact? As many specifics as possible would be appreciated! I'll research Singer Island Marriott

I think the singer island marriott has a special rate. If you call Stuart Scuba they can give you the code.

I am not from the area but will be going in May. I found that blue heron bride is a great spot for snorkeling.

The best sea shell hunting and nicest beaches are on the west coast of FL, near Sanibel, but the diving isn't very good in the area.

Jupiter has decent beaches plus you can find some shells. A few of the municipal or state parks in the northern part of Palm Beach County have good snorkeling: Carlin Park, MacArthur State Park and Blue Heron Bridge in nearby WPB on Singer Island is good for snorkeling and easy beach diving. Jupiter has terrific boat diving but not good boat snorkeling: it's too deep. A fun snorkel trip in WPB is the Keylipso (sp?), they frequent Breakers Reef shallow or Peanut Island and it's quite fun.

Key Largo has awesome boat diving and boat snorkeling but doesn't really have good beaches for shelling.

You will probably need to figure out which is most important: beaches and shelling, diving or snorkeling. You can combine two of the three easily but I can't think of too many spots that are really good for all three

Last edited:
The best sea shell hunting and nicest beaches are on the west coast of FL, near Sanibel, but the diving isn't very good in the area.

Jupiter has decent beaches plus you can find some shells. A few of the municipal or state parks in the northern part of Palm Beach County have good snorkeling: Carlin Park, MacArthur State Park and Blue Heron Bridge in nearby WPB on Singer Island is good for snorkeling and easy beach diving. Jupiter has terrific boat diving but not good boat snorkeling: it's too deep. A fun snorkel trip in WPB is the Keylipso (sp?), they frequent Breakers Reef shallow or Peanut Island and it's quite fun.

Key Largo has awesome boat diving and boat snorkeling but doesn't really have good beaches for shelling.

You will probably need to figure out which is most important: beaches and shelling, diving or snorkeling. You can combine two of the three easily but I can't think of too many spots that are really good for all three

Thanks! I'l research some of these. Of the three, I think that the beaches and snorkeling are the most important. Scuba third. I just want to make sure that the snorkeling is easy for my smallest and yet good enough that they see some fish and get excited about the possibilities.

South Florida Scuba Diving | Scuba Dive South Florida

great site, gives you great info on snorkeling & scuba. Blue Heron Bridge is excellent. My kids did a scuba experience there.
Venice Beach is great for hunting sharks teeth. You can scuba there for Megalodon teeth. Sanibel Island is tops in the nation for shelling, but I have no idea about scuba or snorkeling there. (just got certified last april and haven't been to Sanibel in a few years.

Last year we did Venice for 5 days and then Pompano Beach for about 12. So many places to go from Stuart, Fl down to Miami and of course the Keys.

... As many specifics as possible would be appreciated!
Like the excellent tips the guys posted above, there is ALOT to do in the Jupiter/ West Palm area. I'll just speak to the kids snorkeling. The Blue Heron Bridge (BHB) is just 3 minutes from the Singer Island Marriott. It has a long dedicated "snorkel trail " that the kids will love and it's shallow at 10-12 ft so they can swim down to the artificial reef to see fish. There also are several "hammerhead shark" concrete statues that the kids will love. The parents can also scuba dive the BHB while the kids snorkel.

If you want to see all the real unbiased fish reports, check out in this same board section the thread called "Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III". There you will be able to show your kids photo's taken THIS WEEK of actual fish seen and not some glossy flyer with the best shots.

Flying into Palm Beach international airport (PBI) is a breeze and most say, dirt cheap airfares.

Once you do decide on a hotel location,,,start asking about restaurants and fun things to do Topside with the kids, cause all of us have our favorite foodie stops!!

For shore snorkeling in Key Largo you can go to Pennekamp state park. There is a nice beach but not for sea shells. There is a large snorkeling area. If you go straight out from the beach there is a big dark hole. Not good for snrokeling But to the left there is a grass flat about 6 ft deep and some cannons laying around. Decent viz and lots of fish. I have dove it a couple times when blown out but better for a snorkel spot. Good showers, food, etc. Can rent kayaks and other stuff too.

Depending on how you get there if you pass close to the Crystal river area, Rainbow river is a good snorkel drift and you can also snorkle with manatees. Early in the year for manatees but may be some around.

Ever consider Hawaii? Maybe the Big Island! Great snorkeling and diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom