Being Forced to Buy Equipment AT LDS for Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough, there's nothing wrong with that.

I absolutely recommend that new divers buy a couple of tanks. Nothing makes diving easier and more fun that being able to call your buddy and say "Let's go diving", then simply get up and go.

If you have to make a big deal out of it (go down to the shop, rent tanks, BC, reg, etc., remember to bring them back on time) it's generally too much bother to do it more than a couple of times/year.

Terry

I agree there's nothing wrong with it if just presenting the information....it's the pushiness that gets to me. I do not own tanks, but that is all that I do not own. I plan to own tanks, and I fully realize that renting until then is, overall, more expensive. However, cash flow matters to me right now, and I'm not willing to drop almost $1000 on 4 tanks for both my wife and me. I will when I'm ready.

Business is business, no matter what is being sold. I wholeheartedly support the LDS concept, and I get that they need product sales to keep themselves operational. However, that doesn't justify ripping off people who are just starting and no consumer should ever be told, as some suggest, to buy something he/she doesn't need simply for the sake of supporting a local business. Why should the consumer have to be burdened like that? I don't buy two loaves of bread at the local grocer, one to eat and one to throw away, just so he can stay in business. JMHO, but I support local business because they offer something I want or need (or personalized service), not for the sole sake of keeping them in business.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME AND MY DAD!! and we said that we had some of our own gear already and they said that they'd need to check it before we used it (and that would be dropping it off overnight). So we brought it in a different day and were told that our gear was not okay to use and we'd have to get new stuff ON THE SPOT. (we did. :( bad idea but class started that night). If I could change anything it would be to have just walked out of the shop and never looked back. Listen to everyone and go somewhere else. If it is this bad of service already you can bet it will not get any better.
Good luck and happy diving!

This is something different though.
They wanted to check your equipment to make sure it was usable and safe.
You shouldn't have waited for the last second to take your equipment in so they could look it over.

I just got off the phone with the owner of a LDS. I am an online training student and he said if I sign up for classes I have to buy my mask, fins, snorkel from him for class. I understand the concern about everything fitting, but my cousin works for dive shop on the other side of the state and I got my gear through her. I just couldnt take classes with her because I am pretty busy and didnt want to drive to the other side of the state for classes...Is it right for a LDS owner to do that if someone already has equipment? I can't help but think thats kind of shady...I mean I'd buy my computer and regs from him if he is reasonably priced, and I understand throwing business to the LDS, but this seems kinda extreme.

I am an LDS shop owner. I Never do that. In fact, I even will tell them all the places around they can buy from. They usually buy from me, and they really appreciate my honesty.
This guy is an idiot...... No you don't. And I would leave him alone because of it. I Hate that hard sell, mandatory sales crap.

Before everyone runs the bus BACK over the dive shop, keep in mind that the classes have VERY LITTLE profit in them. And LDS's have a lot of overhead espicially in an economic climate where people are NOT spending discretionary income. However, since you already have fins mask etc. Make a deal with the shop that if you buy other equipment would he honor the price fo the class.

The bus needs to be put in gear. This type of business and expectation is exactly why shops don't build loyalty and return business. I get 90% returns for further training, most buy their equipment with me. And I Do Not insist or even ask that they buy my equipment. They use my school gear and then I tell them not to buy right away and to dive.
They do. with me. And THIS is why I have a successful dive business. They then tell all their friends how great we are. And They come to us.

Do you think that happens with a shop that, in essence, blackmails you into buying equipment? No. You know it doesn't.

But an incentive for them to buy it at the LDS I use is that the owner will allow my students and those of other instructors who teach there to use brand new gear off the shelf to make sure that what they are buying fits. And they don't pay for their gear till the end of classes! He says it's easier than having them buy it , return it, buy it, return it. I had one student who went through 3 masks before she got the right one for her. As a result of this policy she and her husband spent double what they originally planned and got very good gear that will last them many years. ANd they were willing to spend this money because of the way the shop owner treated them. They informed me they'll be buying bc's and regs from him as well. THey've done the research on line and could save a couple bucks but the goodwill he created with them is going to mean a nice big sale for him. And he tries his best to compete with the online shops and does a pretty good job of it IMO.

Exactly! Such night and day difference in approaches, but look at which one yields more money, overall, for the LDS. Honesty and good service drives loyalty and, ultimately, profits. Such a simple concept, but as the OP's story illustrates, not everyone gets it.

This is something different though.
They wanted to check your equipment to make sure it was usable and safe.
You shouldn't have waited for the last second to take your equipment in so they could look it over.

Well the first time they said our wetsuits and my dads mask and snorkel wouldn't be okay to use for the pool sessions (although he was already certified using this gear). After the second pool session we bought BCs regs and comps.. we weren't allowed to use brand new equipment. Don't you think the manufacturer and the store we bought it from checks it enough? My dad was only a refresher so he used it but they wouldn't allow me. but i understand that a policy is a policy..
We have had a horrible experience with the shop and that seemed to only be the beginning.. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/292076-rolling-eyes-lds-3.html on the last page .. Parkland Diver(my dad) explained the bad service better than I can.

Call the LDS back and see if he meant "you need to buy your mask/snorkel/fins/booties before the class and we have all shapes and sizes available to you at our store" or "you must buy all your gear from us, and only us, or you cannot take the course".

I like to think it's the former, but if it's the latter, find a new shop. You don't want to deal with attitudes like that....and most likely, you do not want to learn from the people who possess that kind of an attitude.

Yeah...that's where I was going with it...I can see them saying "you need a mask, snorkel and fins/booties", but not "You need to buy them from ME or you don't get to take the class!"

No law saying you need to have specific stuff, just stuff that works for what you are about to do. (i.e. not "Dollar store" quality mask and fins...who cares about snorkels, it's just a plastic tube!

Well the first time they said our wetsuits and my dads mask and snorkel wouldn't be okay to use for the pool sessions (although he was already certified using this gear). After the second pool session we bought BCs regs and comps.. we weren't allowed to use brand new equipment. Don't you think the manufacturer and the store we bought it from checks it enough? My dad was only a refresher so he used it but they wouldn't allow me. but i understand that a policy is a policy..
We have had a horrible experience with the shop and that seemed to only be the beginning.. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/292076-rolling-eyes-lds-3.html on the last page .. Parkland Diver(my dad) explained the bad service better than I can.

I read his posts and understand where you're coming from.
Although I still don't know if your dad's equipment was usable and safe. All I know is that he was going in for a refresher course.

I'm glad that you guys went and bought your equipment from someone else because dive shops that demand you to buy their equipment should go under (no pun intended).
No shop should make this demand of their students or other divers.
You treat your customer right and fairly, chances are they will buy from you.

Luckily Florida has dive shops up and down the coast so we were okay. And to be completely honest, all the other shops that we have been to we will most definitely be going back to if we haven't already. For the most part we have had great experiences! Fortunately there was only one bad one in the bunch that we have to choose from. Imagine finding a good dive shop in Kansas! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom