Being Forced to Buy Equipment AT LDS for Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Economics 101: Every dollar you spend is a vote for a seller and their products or services. Vote against undesirable retailers by not spending money with them.

Sounds like the guy is either greedy or desperate with a rule like that.

I've also seen an LDS owner who will teach the class, but is continually critical of gear bought elsewhere. Leaky mask? Snorkel pulling your hair? Got a cramp from kicking fins in cold water? The response was always the same: it's the "other" brand from the "other" store that's causing the problem. That's not as bad as refusing to teach a class with gear purchased elsewhere, but still unprofessional...

......at least you didn't make the mistake of telling your LDS that you'd bought any gear off E-Bay! Unfortunately, what you experienced isn't uncommon...it's been my experience that at least half the retail dive shops I've ever done business with over the years have had various degrees of 'issues' with gear not bought in their own shops...better get used to it, it's par for the course. Buying 'personal gear' (mask/snorkel/fins/booties) is a critical first phase/purchase for them....even if you completely suck as a diver and can't certify (physical/medical/mental (phobias) issues, you can't return 'personal' gear...so it's kinda a guaranteed income stream for them, they get paid regardless of the 'outcome' as it were. It's kinda hilarious about shops needing to sign off on your 'offsite' gear purchases to see if it's safe.....remember, you'll be certifying in a pool/lake.....not the Galapagos ! You don't need commando/military grade gear to pass Basic OW for cryin' out loud! There are no short cuts, you will have to discover the hard way which LDS in your area have this hostile attitude...everyone goes through this learning process. Unfortunately, this time you will just have to suffer through it, as you're not willing to certify at the LDS that sold you the gear......it's not impossible, but it is unlikely you will be getting a warm welcome at any other LDS for having done what you did.

Today's torment may be next week's bonanza. We have had a few "going out of business" sales around here. Great wetsuits, 60% off. The dive shop that can't please the public ends up selling out cheap.

(may have been said already, skipped a couple pages...)
I know-

Go in. Get fitted for everything (remember your size). take it all to the register, then say..."****....forgot my wallet, i'll be back tomorrow"

Then go home and order it from leisurepro :) then, go back and tell him you did, and are gonna take your class somewhere else!

seriously though, what I've seen is about right, if the prices are fair, then play his game. If not, go somewhere else.

Oh, and before I get blasted for the LP comment, I bought a full set of gear from my LDS a few months ago....but I did get my mask/fins/snorkle/booties for OW from LP, the price difference wasn't worth it to 'support to the LDS'. But I digress..I think there may be a thread somewhere that discusses the LP vs LDS issue.

The LP issue is such a dead horse that it doesn't need anymore comment. Now, if you want to raise the blood pressure, forget about the "wallet" just tell him you will be buying from Lesiurepro now that you know the right sizes. Surefire way to burn a bridge.

This thread has been great, because I've been thinking about these issues for a while now. A lot of people want to 'support the LDS,' but, in some cases, its the LDS that makes that hard.
My message to local dive shops:

Many shops (seemingly) refuse to accept that the internet exists. No matter how much I want to support you, there comes a point when I stop feeling bad for buying a wetsuit at $199 online compared to $320 from you (same wetsuit), etc. I really want to support you because you're great people and you provide great service. But when you rip me off that badly compared to the market, I'm not being supportive anymore, I'm just being really, really stupid. If you're in the ballpark, even if more expensive, I will buy from you. Unfortunately for you, you make it uncomfortable to talk about price matching, guilt-tripping the customer about buying from the internet...here's what ends up happening when you're like that: we buy from the internet without even giving you a chance to make us a deal.

Also, I understand that you are passionate about the brands that you carry compared to other dive shops. But, c'mon. Stop taking it as a personal affront if I independently try a different brand and determine that, for me, I prefer something different than what you sell. I buy most things from you, and just because I got a second regulator from a different maker (that you're not authorized to sell) shouldn't be a reason to take things so personally.

There are MANY independent instructors (not employed by an LDS) - particularly PADI. So, go to a local dive site and ask around about independent instructors. As long as your gear is serviceable, they don't care where you got it.

They may actually rent space and pool time from an LDS but that might be as close as the relationship gets.

I have always thought that instruction should be totally separated from retail. That no instructor should work for, or own, an LDS. Kind of like the LA County program or even the old Y program. You're buying instruction, not locked in to buying equipment in exchange for discounted education.

In that way, scuba instruction would be a lot like driving instruction. In fact, in the automotive world there are 3 entities: the dealers (they don't teach driving), the schools (they don't sell cars) and the DMV that handles testing and registration. Strictly separate issues.

It's pretty easy to have disagreements with LDSs but in the end, the consumer rules. We have money to spend and a choice of where to spend it. Given enough money, we can buy where we want, train where we want (travel costs money) and dive where we want. And, yes, if necessary, we can buy compressors.

An LDS is stuck in one place (or several but still fixed) hoping that someone will bring them money.

Richard

This thread has been great, because I've been thinking about these issues for a while now. A lot of people want to 'support the LDS,' but, in some cases, its the LDS that makes that hard.
My message to local dive shops:

Many shops (seemingly) refuse to accept that the internet exists. No matter how much I want to support you, there comes a point when I stop feeling bad for buying a wetsuit at $199 online compared to $320 from you (same wetsuit), etc. I really want to support you because you're great people and you provide great service. But when you rip me off that badly compared to the market, I'm not being supportive anymore, I'm just being really, really stupid. If you're in the ballpark, even if more expensive, I will buy from you. Unfortunately for you, you make it uncomfortable to talk about price matching, guilt-tripping the customer about buying from the internet...here's what ends up happening when you're like that: we buy from the internet without even giving you a chance to make us a deal.

Also, I understand that you are passionate about the brands that you carry compared to other dive shops. But, c'mon. Stop taking it as a personal affront if I independently try a different brand and determine that, for me, I prefer something different than what you sell. I buy most things from you, and just because I got a second regulator from a different maker (that you're not authorized to sell) shouldn't be a reason to take things so personally.

You must live in carson city nevada, or you know the owners of our LDS.....I thought I was the only one sick of him

I know of at least 3 shops locally that will discount the cost of the OW class by $100 if you buy the basic gear from them.

My question to the op is: Did you get a discounted cost that requires you buy the gear from him? If you're paying the same as anyone else then walk away and find a different shop otherwise clarify with the LDS what .

You must live in carson city nevada, or you know the owners of our LDS.....I thought I was the only one sick of him

I've just noticed that many, not all, dive shops are stuck in this weird economic world unto themselves, seemingly oblivious to the changes in commerce that have occurred over the past 20+ years.

While a local dive shop may feel like family in many respects, never forget that they indeed are not; thus, my love is not unconditional and there does become a limit to what I will tolerate in the name of "supporting local business."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom