Being Forced to Buy Equipment AT LDS for Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are providing him business by taking his class. Even if his profit margin is slim, that isn't your problem. A customer is a customer and each customer deserves respect.

I would move on to another LDS that will teach your class. Not all dive shops are created equal so shop around until you find a LDS where the atmosphere and attitude there meets your standards and makes you comfortable.

Before everyone runs the bus BACK over the dive shop, keep in mind that the classes have VERY LITTLE profit in them. And LDS's have a lot of overhead espicially in an economic climate where people are NOT spending discretionary income. However, since you already have fins mask etc. Make a deal with the shop that if you buy other equipment would he honor the price fo the class.

<backing bus back over LDS>

Perhaps the LDS should run their business in such a way that they entice the customer back into their shop and make it worth their while to spend their money in their store. If I can go to a store where I do not have to play the silly games, I will. I stick with my decision....ya tried to screw me by attempting to FORCE me to give you my money....ya lose my business.

I have to agree with Scuba Steeve. We teach through the YMCA here in town, and if someone shows up with gear from someone else...who cares. It's our business model that makes or breaks the business. If I told every customer in a bar that they had to smoke the cigarettes that I sold, then people would think I was crazy. Why do dive shops have a right to impose on anyone, especially people who pay their bills? Do we have gear to sell? Yup, but if you already have gear, then why should I compromise my integrity by trying to pull a used-car salesman on you?

If you want to talk about low profit margins, then you are singing to the proverbial choir. We teach SCUBA for a non-profit organization. THAT is low profit margin. Even my ramen has to be on sale.

If a shop were to "mandate" that I have to buy gear from them in order to attend their class, I'd tell them to take a flying leap at the moon and find another shop. AND then I'd report them to PADI, NAUI, SSI or whatever certification agencies for possible ethics violation. AND then I'd report them to the Better Business Bureau. AND then I'd lambast them on all internet scuba forums that I can find.

I'm all for supporting my LDS (90% of my purchases are from them), but I will not stand for that sort of blatant strongarm tactic.

LDS has the right to ensure that you are properly equipped before the class or it is a waste of time for you and the instructor. As an instructor I recommend the student purchase the equipment from the shop but they are not required to however if what you walk in with is not proper then it is your choice...buy now or don't take the class now. Now if a student shows up for a Scuba Review with a Walmart Scuba Kit (mask, fins and snorkel wrapped in plastic on cardboard) then I feel it is not only right but imperative for the shop and the instructor to have some say in this matter. Yes, that actually happened to me...a large mask that did not fit, fins that the guy wouldn't get on in a 100 years..etc. He ended up just renting some stuff for the actual review.
Now, the LDS is wrong to tell you must buy from him when you have your own equipment already. You might have been a snorkeler for years...he doesn't know.

Last edited:
That sounds very much like the shop where I did my OW the only difference being that my wife & kids bought the course (& equip package) for me as a Fathers' Day gift. When I went to buy my regulator, BCD etc later I found their prices to be grossly inflated (no pun intended) and bought them elsewhere (other authorized dealers) for significantly less and have subsequntly found another LDS with a far more customer friendly attitude. (Despite my disdain for the business practices of my first shop their instructors & DMs are first rate)

I can't say enough good things about my new LDS (doing my AOW his week) - they actually make you feel welcome to come in poke around, ask questions etc. and they have very competitive prices.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a city big enough to offer choices.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a city big enough to offer choices.

I am lucky enough to be so far removed from the nearest LDS that all dive shops are equally a PITA for me to get to. So, I will go to the one that treats me, the customer, best. And that does not always mean the least expensive sticker price.

I just got off the phone with the owner of a LDS. I am an online training student and he said if I sign up for classes I have to buy my mask, fins, snorkel from him for class. I understand the concern about everything fitting, but my cousin works for dive shop on the other side of the state and I got my gear through her. I just couldnt take classes with her because I am pretty busy and didnt want to drive to the other side of the state for classes...Is it right for a LDS owner to do that if someone already has equipment? I can't help but think thats kind of shady...I mean I'd buy my computer and regs from him if he is reasonably priced, and I understand throwing business to the LDS, but this seems kinda extreme.

It might just be a misunderstanding. I'd give him a call back and verify whether he meant that you had to buy the equipment from him or just that it was necessary that you have the proper equipment.

If he says "from him" tell him that because of his attitude, you won't be buying anything from him, including classes, and find another shop.

We require that students have an appropriate mask, fins and a snorkel, but if you walk in with a "Mike Nelson" black rubber mask, a snorkel that your brother found at the bottom of the ocean and fins you bought from a WW-II estate sale, as long as the mask is made from tempered glass, fits properly and the rest of the stuff works, if you're happy with it, it's OK with us.

A shop that gets too snotty about what you bought where, is a shop that won't be around for much longer, so don't lose any sleep about blowing them off.

Terry

I am all for "support your Local Dive Center" and the owner is not getting rich off the lessons, so hopefully you understand the gear sales make up for cheap classes, so if he is in the ballpark pricewise I would give him the sale, because if you plan to do alot of diving you need a good working relationship with yourLDS...OTOH if his prices are way out of line, or his customer service is what it sounds like then go someplace else... he cant require you to buy anything from him, and if the purchase is a condition of acceptance into his classes you might want to call another dive shop if you have one, because this might not be a good fit for you.

Unfortunately many businesses have a very short sighted approach. My LDS also is extremely pushy with sales and I really resent it. I did buy my initial gear from them and also signed up for a private class and a offshore dive but despite telling them that I want to hold off on BCD and Reg for now they keep pushing it with high pressure sales tactics. They even suggested I buy my own tank and a $1,500 Galileo Sol computer..yeah right :rofl3:

If you try to push sales on a student it gives off the wrong impression that the store does not give a damn about anything else. Show interest in the student's training first and perhaps you will get a customer for life and make far more money in the long run, just my $0.02.

Because of my experience with this LDS I will probably not go back to them again after I get my cert. next weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom