Been reading the tank cautions and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falcon99

Reaction score
after looking up the specific numbers and brands noted in the DOT alerts, I checked my tanks after arriving home..

Well, as my luck ALWAYS holds, it turns out, one is a Walter Kidde tank, made in 1979. The other is a USD tank with one of the exact exception numbers stamped to it. In short, both are cited as "suspect" by the DOT alert.

They passed Hydro about 6 weeks ago, along with VIP.

My question to the experts is: What the h*ll do I do with them now?

Help...
:confused:

James

Falcon99 once bubbled...
My question to the experts is: What the h*ll do I do with them now?
You use them, that's all. Did you get a VIP or a VIP+? If not a + I'd go to a shop that can uses an eddy tester, unless you know for a fact that the inspection was well done and detailed. However, there's no way to determine that unless you're PSI trained, and if you were, you'd be doing the inspections yourself :)

So get 'em VIP+ tested, and then go ahead and use them.

Roak

I stopped by the LDS on the way home from work. They did eddy test the tanks.

They said it should be fine to use the tanks since they passed both hydro and a VIP+ (eddy) immediately after the hydro. He was also honest in saying it was definately something to be careful about. He also reminded me that this is a very rare thing over the spectrum of millions of tanks worldwide.

So, I will use them this weekend during AOW, and probably until the end of the warm weather, then recycle them and buy new - just for the "warm fuzzy". I'll definately be careful during handling.

My friend I borrowed them from has a LP Steel. I think I will borrow that one and hydro it for some steel experience.

Thanks for the reply!

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom