AL80 Tank ID: Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I bought a set of scuba gear on Craigslist. Everything was late-80’s vintage Scubapro (some of which you will see posted: anyone want an Air2 with free BCD? :) ). It also included a AL80 built in 1988.

I assumed it was ‘bad’ alloy and offered accordingly. However, I was looking at the valve today and noticed that the valve is marked “Catalina”! Interesting!

Unfortunately, nothing I can see on the tank shows that the *tank* is a Catalina. I’ve never knowingly seen a Catalina tank, so I have no reference. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the crown.

The neck of the tank is quite different from the tanks I’m used to seeing. The lettering is hard to see, but says:

“CTC/DOT 3AL-3000-W 89895”
“WK 11 A 88”

As you might be able to tell from the photos, the lettering is really faint. The W in the second line is difficult to make out, and the A in the initial hydro (it’s the A inside of a triangle, I believe for Alcoa) is especially faint.

The WK makes me think Walter Kidde. But the Catalina valve makes me hope that it is a Catalina: Catalina never used 6351 aluminum. so… Can anyone give me a better answer as to what brand of scuba tank I have here? And is there any way of being able to “prove“ this to someone? I fill my own scuba tanks and hydro and eddy test 6351 religiously, but on the off chance that it needs to be filled by somebody else, it would be nice to be able to show them that it is not “bad“ aluminum.

Anyway, thank you very much for any information you might be able to give me about this tank. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• A414D20B-D087-4FDB-904F-4B5F2CC6E50E.jpeg
    A414D20B-D087-4FDB-904F-4B5F2CC6E50E.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 126
  • CE613EF3-69EA-491E-9EA2-C831A58F6F0D.jpeg
    CE613EF3-69EA-491E-9EA2-C831A58F6F0D.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 134
It is definitely a Walter Kiddie. One can tell immediately by looking at the neck. WK used the 6351 alloy.

I would say Walter Kidde with Arrowhead stamp.

https://www.ctcseminars.com/files/technical/CYLMFGRLIST2017.pdf

Edit
I'll have to learn to type faster.

Maybe a touch slower, but more comprehensive. That PDF was perfect, thank you!

The hydro stamp is likely the Arrowhead, though the bottom of the arrow is squiggly and its so faint it’s hard to see. But probably is — and definitely not Alcan as I misguessed (and misremembered...).

Thank you all for your replies, Thank you especially for the PDF. Sadly, I didn’t get a hidden treasure. :) But it’s nice to know definitively, and I can now replace that old Catalina valve with a pro valve without worrying about obscuring my tank’s provenance. :)

I'd like to hear more on this one... it was my understanding that the 6351's were marked with an "SP" or "E" number. According to my book, Walter Kidde did use 6351 prior to December 1989. Yours is 11/88 so 6351 alloy is possible/probable ??? but why the "3AL" DOT marking? I hope someone can straighten me out...very curious.

*EDIT - I did a little research and answered my own question. DOT Notice # 94-7 very informative and corrected my assumption that "3AL's" were all 6061-T6 alloy. Clearly, I was wrong on this as the 3AL markings (both original and over-stamped) were used on the 6351 alloy tank in the specific date ranges...I now feel much smarter.

Hello!

I bought a set of scuba gear on Craigslist. Everything was late-80’s vintage Scubapro (some of which you will see posted: anyone want an Air2 with free BCD? :) ). It also included a AL80 built in 1988.

I assumed it was ‘bad’ alloy and offered accordingly. However, I was looking at the valve today and noticed that the valve is marked “Catalina”! Interesting!

Unfortunately, nothing I can see on the tank shows that the *tank* is a Catalina. I’ve never knowingly seen a Catalina tank, so I have no reference. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the crown.

The neck of the tank is quite different from the tanks I’m used to seeing. The lettering is hard to see, but says:

“CTC/DOT 3AL-3000-W 89895”
“WK 11 A 88”

As you might be able to tell from the photos, the lettering is really faint. The W in the second line is difficult to make out, and the A in the initial hydro (it’s the A inside of a triangle, I believe for Alcoa) is especially faint.

The WK makes me think Walter Kidde. But the Catalina valve makes me hope that it is a Catalina: Catalina never used 6351 aluminum. so… Can anyone give me a better answer as to what brand of scuba tank I have here? And is there any way of being able to “prove“ this to someone? I fill my own scuba tanks and hydro and eddy test 6351 religiously, but on the off chance that it needs to be filled by somebody else, it would be nice to be able to show them that it is not “bad“ aluminum.

Anyway, thank you very much for any information you might be able to give me about this tank. I appreciate it.
I use out of test tanks like the ones you purchased as training tools. A technician inspected mine and found they had defects inside the crown leading to the neck.

Back
Top Bottom