BCD remove and replacement with long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "standard " configuration ends up a messy disaster of hoses sticking off your gear.long hose is a more comfortable configuration, with better air sharing potential, less entanglement hazards, and sets a diver up for familiarity going forward into more advanced classes.

This statement is simply not true and is only a matter of the care with with each configuration is accomplished. I dive both ways and my hoses are not a mess either way. It is easy to make a statement that categorizes all of something one way or another. if your hoses are a mess, then un-mess them. You can route the hoses basically the same way and from the same ports. Just you do not have the mess of tucking a long hose and then the mess of wrapping it around, just a simple octo second on a long hose on a slip release bungee necklace. How is that a mess?

The other gent asked a question, which seems to have raised some ire, as it always does by the long hose proponents. It was asked why? How does which hose you breath create messiness of itself? The why is part of the should and how. If the why is the OP is intending to do penetration, deco diving and similar tech pursuits sooner than later then he should go long hose primary and the how, there is plenty on that. If not then he could certainly optimize his current rig to un-mess it if that is the case.

The regulator set below which is an excellent value could be set up either way and they even offer a yellow face plate if so desired, the only difference (between long or short hose primary) is which second stage gets the bungee necklace and which is breathed. It is not inherently more messy one way or the other.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-21-at-10-02-55-AM.png

Having a clean rig is a matter of routing, a good first stage design that contributes to that end and thought into how the equipment is stayed.

You like the long hose rig, okay, I do too.

N

There is not a cleaner more streamlined setup than a quality 5th Gen ScubaPro AIR2, a 40 inch hosed primary second under the arm and a wireless transmitter plugged directly into the first stage. Two hoses and that's it. To doff the rig I just slip out the left arm and then the right. No fiddling with hoses or bungees.

:popcorn:
Ten more pages...

This statement is simply not true and is only a matter of the care with with each configuration is accomplished. I dive both ways and my hoses are not a mess either way. It is easy to make a statement that categorizes all of something one way or another. if your hoses are a mess, then un-mess them. You can route the hoses basically the same way and from the same ports. Just you do not have the mess of tucking a long hose and then the mess of wrapping it around, just a simple octo second on a long hose on a slip release bungee necklace. How is that a mess?

The other gent asked a question, which seems to have raised some ire, as it always does by the long hose proponents. It was asked why? How does which hose you breath create messiness of itself? The why is part of the should and how. If the why is the OP is intending to do penetration, deco diving and similar tech pursuits sooner than later then he should go long hose primary and the how, there is plenty on that. If not then he could certainly optimize his current rig to un-mess it if that is the case.

The regulator set below which is an excellent value could be set up either way and they even offer a yellow face plate if so desired, the only difference (between long or short hose primary) is which second stage gets the bungee necklace and which is breathed. It is not inherently more messy one way or the other.

View attachment 556786

Having a clean rig is a matter of routing, a good first stage design that contributes to that end and thought into how the equipment is stayed.

You like the long hose rig, okay, I do too.

N

Question the righteous indignation because someone made a statement you dont like. The reg set you've indicated is not the "standard" configuration, and as an elbow in when it's not necessary, only to loop a hose under the arm( or over it) and create the same issues as a long AND short hose with none of the benefits.

Calling me a liar is a bad way to preface a lecture.

I see little has changed. You really think the 90 degree fitting rather than a straight fitting is going to cause hoses to stick out all over? I did not call you a liar, you made a blanket and unsupported statement that is oft said and repeated because of a bias. You like one way better than the other, okay, but the standard rig used by the majority of divers is not inherently messy just because you say so.

The cleanest rig is as offered by Cuzz.

N

There is not a cleaner more streamlined setup than a quality 5th Gen ScubaPro AIR2, a 40 inch hosed primary second under the arm and a wireless transmitter plugged directly into the first stage. Two hoses and that's it. To doff the rig I just slip out the left arm and then the right. No fiddling with hoses or bungees.

:popcorn:
Ten more pages...

Not sure I understand why having a hose that's harder to deploy wrapped under your arm is easier or cleaner that a standard long hose carry, but to each their own. Long as there's no console or inflator smacking the reef

Why do you want to use a long hose for open water diving?

This has been beaten to death in other threads.

Not sure I understand why having a hose that's harder to deploy wrapped under your arm is easier or cleaner that a standard long hose carry, but to each their own. Long as there's no console or inflator smacking the reef
Harder to deploy? I'm not sure I follow you. You take the reg out of your mouth and hand it to the OOG diver. No need to go over the head. And with both configurations you would eventually bring the hose over your arm.

I have a long hose setup as well. It's on my doubles rig. So I can speak from experience with both. My sport rig, which I described is minimalist.

True, but it's a valid question for the OP. If his answer is to be "techie" that's not a good reason. Of course to each his own, but for the sake of discussion it is worth asking.

Valid point, why do I use a long hose as a rec diver.

I have (thankfully) never had OOA buddy underwater but everyone I know that has have reported the person ripping the reg right out mouth, if that happens my secondary is very easy to find and I know it's not stuck on a securing device (also not falling out and dangling)

I did have a OOA buddy who didn't signal just surfaced. When I got back up he told me that was completely empty. In order to back to land we had to crawl the rocks using regs with deflated bc and drysuit. My long hose made that air share I whole lot easier.

With a OOA diver it gives me more space and freedom if they are panicking to get in a position of better control to control our ascent with tugging on now there reg making it worse.

Harder to deploy? I'm not sure I follow you. You take the reg out of your mouth and hand it to the OOG diver. No need to go over the head. And with both configurations you would eventually bring the hose over your arm.

I have a long hose setup as well. It's on my doubles rig. So I can speak from experience with both. My sport rig, which I described is minimalist.

I have both a singles rig and a sidemount set. I've been in back mount doubles as well. I've been in several combinations of long and short hoses, including a FFM. I'm very familiar with the ins and outs of the systems, and have experience with them as well....

Having a hose tucked under your arm, but not secured under anything is messy. Using a swivel when around the back of the neck is just as easy. A simple s drill for initial deployment, with easy length to clear the arm if necessary, is easier than trying to futz with having them in your face until you get it out from under the arm, or having interference with your secondary light. You can disagree, but disparaging my opinions is not necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom