BCD remove and replacement with long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a recreational diver. When I learned scuba diving in my OW course, I didn't know that there is a "long hose configuration" like below image.
394429.jpg

Now since I found that some of the agencies or divers are following this configuration, I start to wonder how to proceed BC remove&replacement skill with this setup? Because if I remove left arm first as the traditional way it seems that the long hose will stuck me. Do I switch to the short hose first or do I remove the right arm first? If I have to switch to the short hose first, where should I clip the long hose to avoid tangling?

Switch to the secondary and clip the primary off on the right chest dring.

Or for that matter, deploy the long hose and retain the reg, remove your kit as needed. Re-stow the hose afterwards.

It's not a problem. All my students learn with a long hose. These are the steps for doing it underwater:
  • Get comfortable and neutral with horizontal trim
  • Undo all clips and elongate left shoulder strap (if possible)
    • Don't forget your crotch strap!
  • Pull left arm out
  • While maintaining trim and neutral buoyancy, spin left and out of your BC
    • Allow your right arm to slip out of its strap
    • Spin until you are looking straight up
  • Your BC should be on your chest at this point
    • Its weight will keep you neutral
    • Your long hose is dangling behind you
  • Go ahead and adjust your tank or clear any entanglements
  • When ready, put your right arm under the BC and spin right
    • Be sure to thread your right arm through the right shoulder strap!
  • Continue spinning until you are face down
  • Put your left arm into its shoulder strap
  • Tighten up and secure all clips
    • Don't forget your crotch strap
    • Don't forget to tame your long hose.

I do it the way @The Chairman just described, except I take my right arm out first simply because it's easier for me to not damage my drysuit exhaust valve if its looser.

I momentarily switch to my octo which is on the short hose and necklace...I then pull the bungee necklace over my head and switch back to my primary 2nd stage on the long hose. This keeps a reg in my mouth (except for the 2 seconds for the switch), gives me enough hose to comfortably maneuver as I doff/don my bp/w, and helps manage the long hose during the procedure.

Rinse and repeat in reverse to put the bungee necklace of the octo back on.

-Z

Always adapt as you see fit.

Right, OP. There are several ways to do this (like a lot of things in this sport) what you need to ask yourself 1) is this a safe for me and everything around me 2) does it accomplish my goal 3) is it the most comfortable way for me. If the answer to all three is yes, that's the right way for you.

I forgot to add in my first post, the clip on the long hose is so you can clip it to your d ring, if your doffing using the necklace clip it off. I use it gearing up and when I get out of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom