BC snaps,D rings, pockets: why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my D-rings (and use them), but the pockets are a waste of fabric on my Ranger. I got my 14yr. old a Poseidon W50 and love the setup: No pockets, continuous webbing (shoulders only. the waist is mounted to the backplate as is the crotch strap/scooter ring), four D-rings attached with stainless lock screws. It's not techie minimalist, but it's great for him and certainly superior to my Ranger. He's added four weight pockets (two on the waist, two for trim on the lower tank band.). His octo uses a clip on the right shoulder. His backup light is on the left (clipped to a retractor and bungied so it doesn't dangle.). His console clips to the left side, but I notice he tucks it under his shoulder strap.

I like it that the rig has rows of stainless grommets so that he can add or remove pockets and d-rings and can locate them almost anywhere he wants.

His rig is about right for what he needs.

I like it that the rig has rows of stainless grommets so that he can add or remove pockets and d-rings and can locate them almost anywhere he wants.

Sorry for the digression, but the grommets look like they belong to a heavy metal band outfit, at least that was the first impression when I saw the rig for the first time. :D

As PACO earlier said, naval/military divers do not have the same needs or uses for pouches or D-rings. They are not out taking photos or riding around with DPVs enjoying the undersea scenery. They are instead advancing along an azimuth of attack with the water as their avenue of approach to ambush and destroy an enemy target. If they deployed an SMB or shined a light, this would give their position away. And if they used open circuit scuba rather than rebreathers, this would also give their position away. Totally different thing altogether.

Conversely, naval/military gear would be unsuitable for civilian sport diving purposes as well.

You just singled in one phase of military diving. There are many more areas doing very different jobs.

For some reason most people think that Navy or Military divers are just stealthy under sea warriors. But in reality, very small percentages fall into that category.

The rest are Salvage, Repair, Research, Rescue and a host of other duties. Some do ride DPV’s in their assignments. Some do take pictures of the area and marine life. Some of the dives are very enjoyable while others aren’t so.

Granted there are different missions and mentalities between every phase of diving everywhere. IMHO there is a much bigger difference between an OW Recreational Diver and a hard core Cave Diver than there is between an OW Diver and a Military Diver. Each has its own set of disciplines.

One of the biggest gear differences between Recreational Divers and Military Divers is a simple one. One defines what is needed for SCUBA as a container of air and a way to get it into your body. Everything else is optional including a regulator, mask, fins, exposure suit, light, knife and a host of other goodies.

Not so in the Recreational Diving world. Most things the Military lists as optional is on the required list for Recreational Divers. The Military looks at things quite different and much simpler. They teach a much tougher mental attitude than being gear dependant.

As far as having lots of D rings and pockets, if you need them use them. If you don’t need them then don’t. There is no need to remove them or seal them shut.

Gary D. :wink:

Go here to read about a good equipment config.

There are some good and some stupid equipment configurations in the web site, use your head if you change your configuation.

Andy

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom