BC snaps,D rings, pockets: why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a former military man myself I think you might appreciate a hogarthian approach.

Instead of random placement of pockets, D-rings, clips etc, its a standardize approach no matter the make/model of the wing, plate, etc. Might fit very well with a military mind set, I know it does with mine.

...The "hog rig" or "hogarthian" gear setup is a backplate with webbing and 5 d-rings, each in a specific location. This is attached to a wing that is your BC. Simple and bulletproof...

Exactly. But don't forget about the cargo pocket sewn on your drysuit or wetsuit too.:D

Some divers actually have TWO such cargo pockets sewn on.

Next time I take my drysuit in for maintenance, I will have them also sew on a second cargo pocket as well.

The excessive D-ringery and snapology and pocketitous are there because of the belief that if one is good then more is gotta be better. Besides, they have to justify charging 800 dollars for a fabric bag of air somehow and that is one of the ways they justify, all the extra pockets and padding and fluff.

N

The excessive D-ringery and snapology and pocketitous are there because of the belief that if one is good then more is gotta be better. Besides, they have to justify charging 800 dollars for a fabric bag of air somehow and that is one of the ways they justify, all the extra pockets and padding and fluff.

N

Nemrod, I am guessing that by "Dixie" and "High Plains" you mean TEXAS.

However Texas is not and never was Dixie. Texas is Texas, a dry and barren place the annexation of which was first the cause of the Mexican War followed closely on by the cause of the U.S. Civil War (as a slave state).

Dixie is from Louisiana to Georgia, but more specifically Mississippi and Alabama.

There are simply no high plains in Dixie! :eyebrow:

Nemrod, I am guessing that by "Dixie" and "High Plains" you mean TEXAS.

However Texas is not and never was Dixie. Texas is Texas, a dry and barren place the annexation of which was first the cause of the Mexican War followed closely on by the cause of the U.S. Civil War (as a slave state).

Dixie is from Louisiana to Georgia, but more specifically Mississippi and Alabama.

There are simply no high plains in Dixie! :eyebrow:

LOL, you would be mistaken then. By the slash (/) I mean two locations (actually three), I own a home and property in three states so you would be completely wrong. I am trying to consolidate, sounds like you could use some consolidation also.

Note the name and flags on the stern.

DSCF0032.jpg

As to the location of "Dixie" your wrong again:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origins of this nickname remain obscure. According to A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles (1951), by Mitford M. Mathews, three theories most commonly attempt to explain the term:

The word "Dixie" refers to a privately issued currency from banks in Louisiana[1]. These banks issued ten-dollar notes, labeled "Dix" (French for "ten") on the reverse side. These notes are now highly sought-after for their numismatic value. The notes were known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners, and the area around New Orleans and the Cajun-speaking parts of Louisiana came to be known as "Dixieland". Eventually, usage of the term broadened to refer to most of the Southern States.
The word preserves the name of a kind slave owner on Manhattan Island, a Mr. Dixy. (Slavery was legal in New York until 1827.) His rule was so kindly that "Dixy's Land" became famed far and wide as an Elysium abounding in material comforts.
"Dixie" derives from Jeremiah Dixon of the Mason-Dixon line defining the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania (the northern boundary of Dixie).

Therefore to state that Louisiana is not a part of Dixie is apparently the result of a geographical confusion on your part what with all your world travelling. BTW, many consider the East Texas and Big Thicket area a part of Dixie. I would agree that most of the huge state of Texas belongs to other geogrpahic and political subdivisions thus the diverse and interesting history and geography of the great state of Texas. Note the single star on that flag and do some research on the Bonnie Blue flag. Much is shrouded in the fog of time but the single star has long been a symbol of defiance used for ages including most recently by the Confederate States but also during the strange and almost bizzare Florida Republic of which the Florida Parishes of Louisiana are named. Any more history you want to know, I actually did graduate the 6th grade--remarkably.

N

However Texas is not and never was Dixie. Texas is Texas

Thats right! We were our own country.

, a dry and barren place

Buzzz! Wrong. Texas is as diverse as the whole country. True, we have SOME dry and barren places, but we also have some of the most green and lush places on the continent!

the annexation of which was first the cause of the Mexican War followed closely on by the cause of the U.S. Civil War (as a slave state).

Easy now! We CHOSE to join the union. Its not like we were assimilated. Sorry, but you just brought out my Texas nationalism....

Hogarthian/DIR divers favor a minimalist approach but even they need at least 5 d-rings and 2 (thigh) pockets albeit some of those d-rings are for scootering, deco bottles, backup/can lights, etc. and the pockets carry wetnotes, smb, backup mask, and other things the average rec diver might not need. if you only do rec dives in daylight then i guess you could get away without any pockets or d-rings (though i think you'd need a hoseless pressure gauge at least and minimal safety equipment).

scubabeachboy:
I have two BCs. ... Both have snaps, D rings, pockets, zippers, and such everywhere. ... Does anyone else and think BCs have way to much showroom stuff on them.
I tend to agree. I also think newer divers like the 'showroom stuff' at first, which is probably why a lot of BCs have those features. It is an evolution. My first BC (Ranger) had 6 D-rings and 2 pockets. I liked having the rings, although I found the pockets to be essentially non-functional if I had any weight in the weight pockets. Tried using a pocket for a flat slate, with little success, and started clipping the slate to the right waist D-ring. Didn't like the dangly feel, so I started using a wrist slate instead of a flat slate, although I could stuff Wet Notes in the right side pocket (with difficulty). Over time, I starting clipping my console to a left waist D-ring, and liked it. I attached my octo to a bungee on the lower right chest D-ring. I even clipped a compass on a retractor to the upper right chest D-ring (but gradually realized I didn't like having it dangle below me when finning around, so the compass moved to the wrist.) Moved to a long hose and necklace which eliminated the use of a D-ring for the octo. Finally moved to BP/W, with cargo pockets on my drysuit, and a big Halcyon zipper pocket on my waist strap when wet. BP harness has 7 D-rings (two waist, two on each shoulder strap, and one on the crotch strap). But, except when clipping bottles, I find I only use two - left waist (SPG is clipped) and right upper chest (back-up light is clipped, can light head when not turned on, primary second stage when on a bottle). What I do find is that I clip more 'stuff' to my backplate - lift bag in a sleeve on the lower left, can light inverted on the lower right, SMB in a sleeve along the bottom - and use the pockets extensively - jon line, Wet Notes, back-up mask, spool, small back-up light, zip lock bag for souvenirs. Even when clipping bottles, I don't use either lower shoulder strap D-ring (yes, I should just take them off) and the crotch strap ring only occasionally. My observation is, divers will carry a lot of 'stuff', as several respondents have noted. And, D-rings and pockets are theoretically great to have, so they are appealing features for many BC buyers. In reality, the pockets on most BCs are somewhat awkward to get to and therefore pretty useless, and most of the D-rings are unnecessary or, at least, not particularly functional. But, that is also a lesson learned over time. Sounds like you have already had the experience in the military, and your reaction to the glitter is not surprising and is a sentiment shared by more than a few.

N

You left out cummerbondagery.

You left out cummerbondagery.

I may have left that one out on purpose :wink: . Seriously, even jacket type BCs could be made modular if they would leave all that off the basic unit and then allow the diver to select various items as needed and install tham like one dioes with a BP/wing.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom