Banned from Capt. Mike's Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I blame Kermit . . .

My question is this, with whom did you contract for the dives, the trip organizer or the boat captain?

If not with the boat captain, then he has no part in the contract between you and the organizer.

The way I'm reading this is that you contracted with the organizer for the two spots on the boat.

If this is, indeed, the case, then I feel it would be improper for the boat's captain to ban you for you were under no contractual obligation to him and therefore he should not insinutate himself in a contractual dispute between you and the organizer.

the K

They asked a trip be put together. I laid out trip. Here on SB. Kept in touch with Captain as to who was going and who was not. I don't "contract" with anyone. Just like SB doesn't when trips are posted here. Diver in question said they may not be feeling well and might have to cancel. Nothing else was said and no cancellation made until the night before the dive, at dinner, when diver said they didn't think they'd be getting up to go. After dive captain contacted me to let me know slot wasn't paid for but he didn't want to ruin everyone's day as we were all headed to lunch. I then later contacted Bill to have him call captain. Up until the other day, he said he would. Then suddenly he felt captain had made enough money because he had six people aboard. However, one was actually there working the boat. I pointed this out to Bill. Often the Captain has someone help with the boat and doesn't charge them but that is at the Captain's discretion and not the people that charter the boat. Bill's follow up was that he heard the captain will go with less than a full boat. This is very true. However, again, that is up to the captain not the people chartering the boat.

Anyway, again Bill if I were you I'd contact Captain Mike instead of destroying his reputation w/o ever having spoke to him. You have and have had his number for a couple of weeks now. As captain Mike said, in the email I forwarded to you, it is not the money. It is the fact you haven't called and you left him hanging.

Edit: There is no "spinning" of anything. Per Bill's post a spot might be cancelled. It never was. The captain asked Bill to call him. Bill said he would. Two plus weeks goes by and Bill still hasn't called captain. Bill says he feels the captain made enough money and that's that and he's not calling him. Bill then posts this thread still w/o ever speaking to captain.

Last edited:
When you put a trip like this together, do you get your dives free for the trip? What do you get for pulling the trip together?

They asked a trip be put together. I laid out trip. Here on SB. Kept in touch with Captain as to who was going and who was not. I don't "contract" with anyone. Just like SB doesn't when trips are posted here. Diver in question said they may not be feeling well and might have to cancel. Nothing else was said and no cancellation made until the night before the dive, at dinner, when diver said they didn't think they'd be getting up to go. After dive captain contacted me to let me know slot wasn't paid for but he didn't want to ruin everyone's day as we were all headed to lunch. I then later contacted Bill to have him call captain. Up until the other day, he said he would. Then suddenly he felt captain had made enough money because he had six people aboard. However, one was actually there working the boat. I pointed this out to Bill. Often the Captain has someone help with the boat and doesn't charge them but that is at the Captain's discretion and not the people that charter the boat. Bill's follow up was that he heard the captain will go with less than a full boat. This is very true. However, again, that is up to the captain not the people chartering the boat.

Anyway, again Bill if I were you I'd contact Captain Mike instead of destroying his reputation w/o ever having spoke to him. You have and have had his number for a couple of weeks now. As captain Mike said, in the email I forwarded to you, it is not the money. It is the fact you haven't called and you left him hanging.

I have been following this thread and if it were me, to ease ill will and correct a misunderstanding, I would call the captain, attempt to make the situation right and if it is resolved make a public apology. I have found over the years that timely communications can resolve most problems.

When you put a trip like this together, do you get your dives free for the trip? What do you get for pulling the trip together?

That's not the issue... The issue is a diver agreeing to go, then backing out at the last minute, leaving the boat Captain and organizer, no time to recruit another diver to fill the spot. It costs a lot of money to run a three tank trip and the Capt rightfully would like to recoup the lost revenue. This was a SB trip put together by a volunteer, who BTW, was asked to put it together. :palmtree: Bob

Most often no. Now if I work the boat, sometimes I do get to go free. This trip another was working the boat. In five years that I have been putting trips together I can count on a hand how many free trips I've gotten but that isn't the issue here.

My dive buddy had a HEAD COLD that prevented her from diving safely. Not going out to dinner Tracy.
Nobody ever told me the cancellation policy. I thought I was diving w/friends and felt confident they would let me know if there was a problem. My mistake, as I said I am learning from them!

Volunteer:
1 : a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: as a : one who enters into military service voluntarily b (1) : one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest (2) : one who receives a conveyance or transfer of property without giving valuable consideration

If there was compensation of a free dive, that's negates the volunteer aspect. Once there's compensation involved, that raises the organizer's role to a different level and even adds an implied liability.

In my opinon, I think Capt. Mike can ban ANYONE for anything......It is his boat!
I am not trying to get "reinstated", just to make others aware so they can avoid this problem in the future.

In my opinon, I think Capt. Mike can ban ANYONE for anything......It is his boat!
I am not trying to get "reinstated", just to make others aware so they can avoid this problem in the future.

A simple phone call would have sufficed. Not the run-around for 2+ weeks. Now people because of this thread are going to have a bad taste in their mouths about Captain Mike and that just isn't fair to him. He is like every other captain and wants a simple 24 hr cancellation not seven hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom