Banned from Capt. Mike's Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is pointless. I seriously do not see how this thread is making the captain look bad, it's making Salmonboy look bad.

Salmonboy, have you NEVER been on an open water dive before with a charter? It's common practice in all things you don't pay for in advance to give a 24 hour notice. Hotels, dive trips, car rental, etc.

Saying you didn't know about the cancellation policy is a cop-out. You say your learning from this experience, prove it, pay you dang bill. You booked 2 spots, didn't cancel one and only used one, you still pay for 2 spots. You said it yourself, "she might cancel!" - That is NOT a cancellation and you dang well know it.

IMO, this thread is a way for you to attempt to help you feel better about stiffing the boat captain, instead you've gotten a lot of bashing because your wrong and you know it! Blaming this on your 'FRIENDS' is also a cop-out, it's on you and you know it! Why the blame game? It's your fault!

If you don't pay him, you haven't learned ANYTHING! I know the captain said it's not about the money, but, of course it is, he doesn't run a free charter service.

maybe he has done open water charters before, but has never had to cancel . . .

It's not unusual for some sort of discount to be given when a trip is put together. In some instances that discount may go to the trip organizer for services rendered, or it may be spread among the entire group.

Determining which one will apply to a particular instance can be the tricky part...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know Captain Mike, but I do know both Bill and Tracey and have dove with both. In Captain Mike's defense: He is a USCG licensed captain, which carries responsibilities and requires a considerable amount liability risk. He is first of all a businessman. As such his first concern is providing an income for himself and his family. Secondly, he provides and income for his mate/Divemaster. Finally he provides a service to his customers (divers). As is customary he requires 24-hour notice of a cancellation. Even though you may know him personally, when conducting financial business it is always best to act in a businesslike manner and make direct cancellation to him, unless it has been prearranged that it can be handled by a third party. From the accounts of the parties directly involved it seems to me that too many assumptions were made based on friendships rather than good business practices and a direct approach would have prevented these problems. It is my opinion that Captain Mike is owed for a no-show.

It's not unusual for some sort of discount to be given when a trip is put together. In some instances that discount may go to the trip organizer for services rendered, or it may be spread among the entire group.

Determining which one will apply to a particular instance can be the tricky part...

the problem arises when you get a "group discount" for X number people, and then say a few people don't show up. Especially if you get a whole boat rate from the captain and not a per person rate.

who bears the brunt of the change in the discount? should it be the person who canceled or the others on the trip? (or even the trip organizer can get left paying extra money out of pocket)

All of this should have been stated beforehand as to what the payment conditions were, what the cancellation "policy" was, and what changes in payment occur if not everyone makes it.

I've seen this happen before with boat trips, ski trips, etc.... :shakehead:

the problem arises when you get a "group discount" for X number people, and then say a few people don't show up. Especially if you get a whole boat rate from the captain and not a per person rate.

who bears the brunt of the change in the discount? should it be the person who canceled or the others on the trip? (or even the trip organizer can get left paying extra money out of pocket)

All of this should have been stated beforehand as to what the payment conditions were, what the cancellation "policy" was, and what changes in payment occur if not everyone makes it.

Oops.....Onespeed, then Cave Diver, then Letterboy, then Docc, and now you've posted. Mike_S makes five on one single thread so this officially now DOG PILING.

It's called full disclosure. Salmonboy seems surprised anyone was getting comped for the trip.

Regarding "working the boat", that's a job for a DM or above. Otherwise you're just another diver on the trip.

It really varies. I've been in this situation before on several occasions. As the person usually organizing trips for my friends, I'm the one that gets pricing, secures the trip and makes all the arrangements. All expenses are shared equally, and I would generally pay for the trip and everyone would pay me back. After one exceptional Charlie Foxtrot, I quit putting everything on my CC and everyone now has to call and secure their own arrangements once I do the legwork.

That way, if someone cancels, it's on them and not me.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom