Banned from Capt. Mike's Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's called full disclosure. Salmonboy seems surprised anyone was getting comped for the trip.

Regarding "working the boat", that's a job for a DM or above. Otherwise you're just another diver on the trip.

I like to break it down a little differently.
Crew (Captain, mate/DM), Customers and if ya ain't paying or part of the crew: cargo!

You can call a dive for any reason at any time... but's it's customary to PAY for the dives you agreed to UNLESS the dives are called by the dive op. If the OP is not man enough to talk things out with the captain, then I certainly see Captain Mike's response to him as more than appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some Off Topic posts have been removed.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some Off Topic posts have been removed.

Thanks Dave. It would be nice to hear the captain's input on this now that the thread has re-opened.

Thanks Dave. It would be nice to hear the captain's input on this now that the thread has re-opened.

He phoned me yesterday, after he read the thread, and stated "Threads like that are exactly why I don't go on ScubaBoard or SpearBoard."

You are welcome to call him. I've posted his number numerous times for people to get in touch with him for diving. His and all the captains we use around here have been posted repeatedly.

Here is the WHOLE story:

When I was made aware of the thread about the dive (via phone) I accepted TWO spots, one for myself and one for my GF.
I had NEVER been on the boat before and didnt have the Capt. contact info. I could have obtained it if needed but I didnt think that was necessary at the time, I was diving with friends.
The boat is a 6 pack boat and I had dove with ALL the other divers before, with the exception of the boat's mate.
The boat had 6 passengers and one mate diving, along with the Capt. The boat was FULL.
During the week previous to the trip, GF was having problems with her head and throat. It didnt seem like it was getting significantly better so I made the post I quoted above. Offering the spot. I know this message was seen by the trip planner.
I was (mistakenly it seems) under the impression it takes 5 paying divers to make a trip and we still had those.
No one ever tells me I will have to pay for her if she doesnt make it OR the Capt. will cancel the trip. (I could have EASILY given the spot to dozens of other divers)
Show up at the dock. Capt. notes there is one missing, but goes out anyway.
Had a good couple of dives. Paid the Capt for my trip.
Two weeks later, the event planner calls me to ask me to pay for GF trip!
Tells me I didnt give 24 hour notice. I produced the thread, but that wasnt enough.
Did I mention, I thought I was diving with good FRIENDS?

I see your point, but hold another POV for myself. Early on when I was getting started I had more than a couple of dives where I paid up and tipped just to chum the waters. A couple of weeks ago, I paid in full for an overnighter where we couldn't dive the second day, no complaining. On the other hand, I've had more than a couple of dives called by the Atlantic and I walked away with all my money in my pocket. By my calculations, I'm still ahead of the boat captains. If I book it and the boat leaves the dock, I pay without creating an issue. Boat captains talk to each other.

1) pay up in the real world.
2) continue to argue your point on 'the board', you might even be right.

Regards,
lowviz

He phoned me yesterday, after he read the thread, and stated "Threads like that are exactly why I don't go on ScubaBoard or SpearBoard."

You are welcome to call him. I've posted his number numerous times for people to get in touch with him for diving. His and all the captains we use around here have been posted repeatedly.

Thanks but no. If he's interested enough to read the thread but not share his opinion publicly I see no reason for me to call and harass him for it.

I don't blame the captain for not wanting to get in the middle of this:

A dog can whip a skunk, but it isn't worth the stink!

I don't blame the captain for not wanting to get in the middle of this:

A dog can whip a skunk, but it isn't worth the stink!

:rofl3:

Salmonboy: If you would have to pay via credit card online booking and your gf couldn`t make it and there was no cash refund upon canceling of the booking...would you make such noise about it?

Note to Captain: Get an online booking system for this internet fellows so you are 100% sure they will pay. Problem solved! :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom