Banned from Capt. Mike's Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salmonboy97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been informed I have been banned from Capt. Mikes dive boat. Capt. wanted me to pay for Robin not showing up 8/15/09. It seems posting:

**NEWS FLASH** Robin is not feeling well and will probably have to cancel this dive. If you are interested in her spot please post up. She will make a final 'go, no-go' decision tomorrow."

on 8/13/09, on SB to the dive organizer wasnt enough notice!

It was my understanding the boat would go if there were 5 paying divers and we had those.

Banning seems a bit extreme, but OTOH, I wouldnt consider posting on the board as an adequate cancellation either. Too much chance that it might not get seen in an appropriate time frame. I would think a phone call would have been a better idea.

you are just finding out now a month later? and does it bother you to be banned? seeing how you have your own ride now :D

Here is the WHOLE story:

When I was made aware of the thread about the dive (via phone) I accepted TWO spots, one for myself and one for my GF.
I had NEVER been on the boat before and didnt have the Capt. contact info. I could have obtained it if needed but I didnt think that was necessary at the time, I was diving with friends.
The boat is a 6 pack boat and I had dove with ALL the other divers before, with the exception of the boat's mate.
The boat had 6 passengers and one mate diving, along with the Capt. The boat was FULL.
During the week previous to the trip, GF was having problems with her head and throat. It didnt seem like it was getting significantly better so I made the post I quoted above. Offering the spot. I know this message was seen by the trip planner.
I was (mistakenly it seems) under the impression it takes 5 paying divers to make a trip and we still had those.
No one ever tells me I will have to pay for her if she doesnt make it OR the Capt. will cancel the trip. (I could have EASILY given the spot to dozens of other divers)
Show up at the dock. Capt. notes there is one missing, but goes out anyway.
Had a good couple of dives. Paid the Capt for my trip.
Two weeks later, the event planner calls me to ask me to pay for GF trip!
Tells me I didnt give 24 hour notice. I produced the thread, but that wasnt enough.
Did I mention, I thought I was diving with good FRIENDS?

Sounds to me as if someone is out of pocket because he or she got a free dive for putting the trip together, but the free dive/s were predicated upon having "X" number of "paying" divers on the boat.

Just pure speculation upon my part.

the K

Have to agree with deepstops, if the reservation was made by phone, then it should have been canceled by the same method.

Just one of life's little learning lessons . . .

. . . learn from it and move on.

the K

You booked two spots. You are responsible for paying for both spots. Posting on SB is not notice to the operator. Even if it were, you didn't post that you were cancelling, you posted you wanted to sell a spot. There's no way anyone could know you hadn't sold the spot unless you called to cancel. You should pay up.

The event planner knew of the situation with MORE than 24 hour notice she was likely to have to cancel.
I made the mistake of thinking the boat needed 5 paying divers to 'go'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom