Banned from Capt. Mike's Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all seriousness, the trip organizer and yourself could have both done more to resolve this. A simple PM, text message or phone call when you posted about wanting to sell your spot would have avoided this whole thing.

I thought you only got banned from boats if you brought banana's or wore a speedo...

Posted via Mobile Device

This is NOT a big deal. It is obvious, there was a lack of proper communication. I am posting so others may learn from my mistakes. (I always TRY to learn from my mistakes)

If you use this boat often it wold be worth it to talk with the captain about. Even if you don't use the boat again, it's the right thing to do.

Tell him up front that you want to make it right with him and see if he will work something out. Perhaps he won't charge you full price, perhaps he's now not in the mood to bargain. The right thing would be to pay him and put this to bed. We're not talking about your life savings at risk, but a days worth of diving.

Incidentally, I think it's very bad form for you to piss and moan about it in this public forum before talking with the boat captain to see how you can make this right.

If the trip arranger isn't stepping up to the plate, then you must. After-all, your girlfriend and you who the ones who didn't keep your end of the deal no matter what the reason.

P.S. If you wanted this to be a teaching point then you would have no reason to mention the captain involved.

I have been informed I have been banned from Capt. Mikes dive boat. Capt. wanted me to pay for Robin not showing up 8/15/09. It seems posting:

**NEWS FLASH** Robin is not feeling well and will probably have to cancel this dive. If you are interested in her spot please post up. She will make a final 'go, no-go' decision tomorrow."

on 8/13/09, on SB to the dive organizer wasnt enough notice!

It was my understanding the boat would go if there were 5 paying divers and we had those.

Bill stating you might have to cancel because your buddy is not sure if she is going to feel well and actually cancelling are two different things. Actually cancelling while the two of you are out having drinks the night before the dive is a little late. You left the captain w/o the choice to fill the spot or not. As you know, he was able to pick up two people last minute on last week's dive trip...

It is pretty much industry standard to properly cancel at least 24hrs in advance. That is not a lot to ask. Especially at the height of the season when captains have the opportunity to fill their boat if they so choose. Which around here of late it's not been so easy to fill even a six pack.

I have tried to get you to speak to the captain for more than two/three weeks now in an effort to resolve this. You have chosen not to. So I think it is a little less than fair to now come on the board to smear a captain who has been nothing but good to this area.

Lastly please remember, every SB'er that has hopped on that boat has gotten a $25 discount. So to leave him hanging in the cold w/o proper cancellation when he has treated the people here great, then to come on the board to smear him,. Seriously, come on.

Edit: A couple other notes... Yesterday you felt Mike had made enough money because he had six people... Just a note HoundDog was working the boat. Hence why he was there to load and off load all gear, pull the anchor, lift BC's out of the water, wash the boat at the end of the day, etc., etc. It is not up to us to decide what the captain should or shouldn't do. Captain Mike has been known to fly with three people if he chooses. He does this for fun and simply doesn't appreciate being stood up.

This is NOT a big deal. It is obvious, there was a lack of proper communication. I am posting so others may learn from my mistakes. (I always TRY to learn from my mistakes)

Then I'll ask, what exactly did you learn here??

This isn't the first time where mixing "friends" with free trips in exchange for organizing and promoting trips went wrong.

I would contact Capt Mike and attempt to make things right. There's no need to have bad feelings floating around over so small of an amount of money. I will say, that by splashing the Captains name on the WWW, you may have very well terminated any chance you might have had to come to a mutual agreement on this issue. Conflicts like this are best handled discretely, person to person. I encourage you to contact the Captain and see if the two of you can find some common ground. BTW, I don't know the boat Captain in question here, I'm only speaking from my experience as a trip organizer. :palmtree: Bob

My question is this, with whom did you contract for the dives, the trip organizer or the boat captain?

If not with the boat captain, then he has no part in the contract between you and the organizer.

The way I'm reading this is that you contracted with the organizer for the two spots on the boat.

If this is, indeed, the case, then I feel it would be improper for the boat's captain to ban you for you were under no contractual obligation to him and therefore he should not insinutate himself in a contractual dispute between you and the organizer.

the K

it would appear the Captain sees things in a different light.

My question is this, with whom did you contract for the dives, the trip organizer or the boat captain?

If not with the boat captain, then he has no part in the contract between you and the organizer.

The way I'm reading this is that you contracted with the organizer for the two spots on the boat.

If this is, indeed, the case, then I feel it would be improper for the boat's captain to ban you for you were under no contractual obligation to him and therefore he should not insinutate himself in a contractual dispute between you and the organizer.

the K

it would appear the Captain sees things in a different light.

I guess the Captain's perspective might also depend on how the story was spun by organizer. I'm just saying......

I find it odd nothing was said DURING the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom