Balmorhea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a moot point for me. There is NO way that I'm going to drive all that distance alone. Besides, where is the fun in that??

So I'll have a buddy there...probably more than one!

Once you've all decided on a date, I'd like to check it out Balmorea in Feb. Sounds like the makings of a fun trip! (and I'd hate for Hemlon to have to drive all that way alone :))

shaggie:
Once you've all decided on a date, I'd like to check it out Balmorea in Feb. Sounds like the makings of a fun trip! (and I'd hate for Hemlon to have to drive all that way alone :))
I don't think her driving alone will be a problem. Sounds more like we will need to rent a 15 passenger van to fit all of the people who want to go ;-)

Also sounds like we might to schedule our diving so that we aren't all in the water at once. It could get a bit crowded......

~Jess

Depending on when it is I may drive down. It's a 5 1/2 hour drive for me, but it's a fun place. One thing that will be cool is during the winter months there are some ducks that migrate to the area and it's really cool to watch the ducks dive down in the water to get some tetra's! :)

I vote for Febuary since that is pretty much the doldrums of texas winter diving.

I also vote for February since I will be in Cozumel the beginning of January.

~Jess

I do wish dives would not feed the fish and turtles, and I don't think I have to go over the reasons.

The rules prohibit solo diving, but I never let it bother me. Knives are not allowed, and they will bust you for that. The park cabins are very nice, all non-smoking, but one can smoke at the picnic tables out back. I do have a little album of pics from there in my PG.

Oh they have great hot showers. If you get chilled, just run for the head. :D

OK, back to Balmorhea. A group of us from Houston will be doing a road trip there sometime in February. Would be an extended weekend thing, leave early Fri, maybe a night dive, dive Saturday, see Marfa lights and Ft. Davis, maybe an early dip Sunday and head back. Always looking to meet up with other groups or individuals.
Good plan. I've always driven down on Saturday, irritated that it was so far, done the training dives, and minimized my stay, but - there are some interesting sites around the area.
wet-willie:
Reefhound, be sure and create a thread when you firm a weekend for your trip. I like going out there, even though I have been twice, and may be interested in the trip as well. The Davis Mountains is one of my favorite sites to visit in the state. Too bad it is so far away.

Willie
Yeah, if you folks & Hemlon can agree on a date, then organize a general plan and post that in a new thread, this could be fun.

I'd suggest calling the park: 432-375-2370, to make sure the weekend chosen would not be one when they drained the pool for cleaning or something. It might be good to call the adjacent dive shop: 432-375-2572 to ensure that they will be on hand for air fills.

PM me if I can help in with any inforation or anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom