Balmorhea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blindref757:
If I'm driving 10 hours, I'm going to Pensacola and the Oriskany!

The Oriskany is a great dive. Pensacola was a diving paradise even before she went down. Still there is something to be said for variety. A true diver thrives on all kinds of diving and admires the beauty in each. If we had Bonaire-type shore diving right off Galveston or Aransas, I'd still take an occasional dip into Travis.

ReefHound:
The Oriskany is a great dive. Pensacola was a diving paradise even before she went down. Still there is something to be said for variety. A true diver thrives on all kinds of diving and admires the beauty in each. If we had Bonaire-type shore diving right off Galveston or Aransas, I'd still take an occasional dip into Travis.

Yeah, what ReefHound said.

I thought this thread was on Balmorhea............now everyone is in Florida....:rofl3:

texdiveguy:
I thought this thread was on Balmorhea............now everyone is in Florida....:rofl3:
Ok, let me pull this thread back to Texas:D Can you dive Balmorhea by yourself or do you need a buddy? I'm driving to California on the 16th of December and was planning on doing a dive in Balmorhea..

Enrique

texdiveguy:

OK, back to Balmorhea. A group of us from Houston will be doing a road trip there sometime in February. Would be an extended weekend thing, leave early Fri, maybe a night dive, dive Saturday, see Marfa lights and Ft. Davis, maybe an early dip Sunday and head back. Always looking to meet up with other groups or individuals.

subzero:
Ok, let me pull this thread back to Texas:D Can you dive Balmorhea by yourself or do you need a buddy? I'm driving to California on the 16th of December and was planning on doing a dive in Balmorhea..

Enrique

Their website sounds like they are strict about requiring buddies, but maybe someone who's been there can tell if this rule is actually enforced.

Also, not to stray OT again, but I've heard there is a neat place in New Mexico called Blue Hole that you might catch on your way.

subzero:

Enrique

As I remember...the park rules at sign-in req. you to have a dive buddy present.....it is as safe a dive as can be,,,,but I do believe the park rules want buddy diving. 'Been ther done that' kind of dive spot.

Of course, it could just be the ranger working the check-in desk on the day you arrive; but I've been to Balmorhea two times. Both times, the check-in ranger seemed pretty adamant about seeing my C-card and the C-card of my dive buddy. And he wanted to see both of them simultaneously. If I remember correctly, he even made my dive buddy get out of the car, come inside and sign another dive waiver in person. So from my experience, I would say that they enforce the dive buddy rule.

JR

Back
Top Bottom