Balmorhea closed to diving until further notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinspace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had to cancel our plan of diving there this weekend. From the TPWD site... TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

03/25/2012 - NOTICE OF POOL CLOSING. As of Sunday afternoon, March 25, the natural spring lake (pool) is closed until further notice. Some swimmers have experienced bites causing skin itching from an unknown source in the pool. TPWD is sampling and studying all aspects of the possible source and will update this page when the pool is reopened.

I'm in Odessa now. I'm glad I didn't bring my diving gear out here, which I had planned to do...just in case I could find a buddy.

Now I don't feel as bad about only being an hour or so away from Balmorhea and not getting to dive it. I only hope they find and are able to eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
Wow! That is creepy!!! Thank you for posting!

Had to cancel our plan of diving there this weekend. From the TPWD site... TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

03/25/2012 - NOTICE OF POOL CLOSING. As of Sunday afternoon, March 25, the natural spring lake (pool) is closed until further notice. Some swimmers have experienced bites causing skin itching from an unknown source in the pool. TPWD is sampling and studying all aspects of the possible source and will update this page when the pool is reopened.

I always THOUGHT those tetras were eyeing me with a decidedly predatory look.
03.gif

or... Maybe the cause of the bites was that the divers/swimmers weren't squeezing out the Cheez-Whiz fast enough and the tetras got impatient.

or... (just one more...I promise) The Comanche Springs pupfish (Cyprinodon elegans) and the Pecos gambusia (Gambusia nobilis) got tired of being "endangered" and decided to fight back!

: )

Any body got any updates on this ? Is it open now?

. . . . . or (blame Guba for this), did they have to drain it?

Likely some of those pesky snakehead/mosquito larva hybrids...

From what I understand its still closed, and they have drained it 2 times.

How are they able to drain it? I've never been there but it is spring fed isn't it? Is it damned up so they are able to drop the pool level?
Just curious.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom