Ginnie closed to diving until further notice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the drunken hordes trashed the place.
Agreed..... they need to get that place under control. We were there two weeks ago and I couldn't believe the trash. Very sad

Agreed..... they need to get that place under control. We were there two weeks ago and I couldn't believe the trash. Very sad
When I was down there at Christmas, I was regaled with stories from FL divers of how out of control the drunken hordes get.

Hopefully the tubers and partiers haven't won. Several quarries in the Midwest ended up booting divers in favor of tubers/floaters/drinkers because there was simply more money in that business. Scuba became a losing proposition with the growing cost of insurance and the low volume of divers. Hopefully that doesn't happen at Ginnie but I have my concerns.

best information available as of now is they are having issues getting their insurance coverage for divers renewed. This is a systemic problem in the industry and is in line with PADI instructors being dropped left and right, PADI itself losing insurance coverage, and the time of year that renewals go through.

What we have to worry about is that they need to decide that the cost of that insurance *which if I were a betting man is over $50k/year for divers* and hassle of getting it renewed is financially viable for them. Personally if I owned it I wouldn't bother since we are most definitely not very financially lucrative to their business model, especially when they seem to have a death about once a year and have to close, but that's a different discussion. Basically we cost more and return less, why bother?

There's also a lawsuit related to a death of a Commercial Diving Academy graduate and two weeks ago Ginnie was named as a co-defendant.

And something about endangered snails.

There's also a lawsuit related to a death of a Commercial Diving Academy graduate and two weeks ago Ginnie was named as a co-defendant.

Created a thread on the case in the legal forum.

especially when they seem to have a death about once a year and have to close,

They didn't close for the death recently, just that diving wasn't allowed in Devil's. Ginnie isn't going to turn away money unless they absolutely have to.

They didn't close for the death recently, just that diving wasn't allowed in Devil's. Ginnie isn't going to turn away money unless they absolutely have to.
Didn't write that clearly, obviously not closing the entire park, but it is still lost revenue from the divers which is hundreds of dollars a day.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom