Balmorhea closed to diving until further notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are they able to drain it? I've never been there but it is spring fed isn't it? Is it damned up so they are able to drop the pool level?
Just curious.

David

David,

I have no answer for this, but I'm curious as well and mainly, it's nice to see you posting again. :)

Yes, I think that is what I was seeing. The is one drain behind the netted area on the SE side of the deep end. I believe they can open that and reduce the level a few feet. Then there is the grated hole below the diving board that is the deepest part of the "pool". Obviously they don't completely drain the pool - endangered species and all. But the do lower the water level to clean the cement pool end at the beginning of each season. That would mean a reduction of about 4 feet I guess.

Then again, maybe I got it all wrong.

Awap is correct about the drain locations. They can drain it down but not empty it because the spring always flows a lot of water. It is still closed, they may know something this week when the lab tests come back...but Cinco de Mayo weekend isn't my idea of a great time to go to Balmorhea. It is a mad house / zoo on holiday weekends.

Here is a picture from last weekend...

Pool 004.jpg

Since it's the only location for two endangered species, they are very limited on what they can do. I wish that tetra had never been introduced.

I was out there in February, they had lots of signs up about swimmers itch. I managed to get it. I was only on my hands and ankles (where I had exposed skin) Looked like chigger bites, itched like crazy. Took about a week for everything to stop itching and another week for all of the spots to disappear.

I was in the main part of the pool on Saturday teaching a class, but was in the canal portion on Sunday shooting video, I think I managed to get it on Sunday, as the symptoms started to appear that night and into the next morning.

R

Looks like it's still closed from looking at the park site. My fav Lubbock dive shop has two classes planned there for next weekend...??

They just announced it's open again but will be closing again May 14-21 for
cleaning. Link.

yuck..

Back
Top Bottom