Bad News: Florida Regulators OK Plan To Increase Toxins In Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Florida Regulators OK Plan To Increase Toxins In Water - Slashdot

Despite the objection of environmental groups, state environmental regulators voted Tuesday to approve new standards that will increase the amount of cancer-causing toxins allowed in Florida's rivers and streams under a plan the state says will protect more Floridians than current standards. The Environmental Regulation Commission voted 3-2 to approve a proposal that would increase the number of regulated chemicals from 54 to 92 allowed in rivers, streams and other sources of drinking water, news media outlets reported. The Miami Herald reports that under the proposal, acceptable levels of toxins will be increased for more than two dozen known carcinogens and decreased for 13 currently regulated chemicals. State officials back the plan because it places new rules on 39 other chemicals that are not currently regulated. The standards still must be reviewed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, but the Scott administration came under withering criticism for pushing the proposal at this time. That's because there are two vacancies on the commission, including one for a commissioner who is supposed to represent the environmental community.

I guess like Mexico, visitors to FL might want to start drinking only bottled water. You might not get Montezuma's revenge but the long term effects are probably going to be worse.

On the upside, sellers of drysuits might see a slight uptick in sales :wink:

I understand why they revisited this issue. I'm glad they increased the number of chemicals to be regulated. I understand we have to dispose of waste if we want to have the many products we need and use in everyday life. What I don't understand is why the waste has to be disposed into our water in the first place.

Last edited:
I understand why they revisited this issue. I'm glad they increased the number of regulated chemicals. I understand we have to dispose of waste if we want to have the many products we need and use in everyday life. What I don't understand is why the waste has to be disposed into our water in the first place.
It doesn't have to be, it's just cheaper for companies to do it that way. As always with laws that seem sketchy, you can probably follow the dollars.

Yep. I've argued for years it's not global warming that is the biggest threat to the ocean, it's pollution allowed by governments/politicians who claim they are for protecting the environment, yet do the exact opposite for personal monetary gain.

I also put a lot of blame on what I call careless capitalism and hypocritical consumers. It's a match made in hell. Don't get me wrong, I love responsible capitalism. But consumers will scream they want environmental protections, but aren't willing to pony up the extra money to buy more expensive environmentally friendly products. Corporations meet these demands by reducing costs at the expense of the environment and also create useless stupid products that quickly end up in a landfill.

One example I always use is Harbor Freight. Now again, don't get me wrong. I love Harbor Freight, but I stopped taking their "free gifts", like that stupid flash light that lasts a month and then ends up in the garbage. What a waste of resources.

Anyway, I'm ranting now and better stop, but before I do I'll say this, I like Rick Scott for his economic policies and his push for small government. But he's really pissing me off with the environment. I don't directly blame him for the issues with Lake O. There's nothing that can be done quickly and permanently to fix that problem which has been created over decades of poor planning and ideas, but he's not making it a top priority and acting swiftly enough. The state of emergency should have been issued several months ago. And why he's allowing this new waste plan is troubling to me.

Many people just don't understand how sensitive marine life is. We have to change our ways.

Tried clicking they're links to see exactly what chemicals they're talking about and what amounts.

It also doesn't specify exactly what rivers and where they're going. Many of the chemicals I know of, are great for swamp land. Many of our WWTP are near swamps for exactly that reason. Swamps can filter out a lot of what WE don't want.

Doesn't count for anything more than rabble rousing, if they aren't specific. That being said, Florida WWTP's are stinky ghetto jokes compared to the ones I've seen in the north. It wouldn't startle me if they've been dumping everything into the rivers and are just trying to move the laws about for damage control (of their careers).

I can scream "I got 92 more money's" at any bar, but that ain't going to get me laid if I'm talking about pennies and peso's.

https://depnewsroom.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/hhc-criterion-comparison.pdf is the link that states what chemicals, and shows "old" and "new" levels that are allowed. The link works for me (it's not mine).

AFAIK the law applies to all Florida waters and is not specific to a particular river or body of water.
Here's a screenshot if the link doesn't work for you.

That's better. Thanks. Looks like they're moving the line so they'll be within spec. "We didn't know our water was bad, it was within spec." Welcome to Flint, FL.

And most of those have nothing to do with the WWTP's. Which kinda sucks. That's nasty industrial stuff.

Yep. I've argued for years it's not global warming that is the biggest threat to the ocean, it's pollution allowed by governments/politicians who claim they are for protecting the environment, yet do the exact opposite for personal monetary gain.

I agree with this. Though increased water temps are adding to the problem, I too believe waterways and the coast are becoming overran with pollution. It's a shame. About a month ago I snorkeled down in the Keys(Marathon area) and found 2 dozen dead deer cowries(Cypraea Cervus) and 3-4 zebra ones(Macrocypraea zebra), all fresh dead, in one spot and in good shape(from a collectors stand point). I am puzzled by this but read online these mysterious deaths started happening in 2013 (which coincide with the Lake Okee discharges). People have reported finding dead cowries from Ft Pierce down to the Key West. When inverts start dying, it's a sign the ecosystem is out of balance. Something needs to be done before it's too late.

FL Cowries (Deer, Zebra, Gray), found fresh dead, FLA Keys

Last edited:
I read another article about these increases in pollution tolerances. One of the most significant increases was Benzene, which nearly doubled. Turns out it is a by-product of the fracking industry. So this could be setting up Florida to look more attractive to the natural gas people. Florida considering weakening restrictions on discharging chemicals in water

I read another article about these increases in pollution tolerances. One of the most significant increases was Benzene, which nearly doubled. Turns out it is a by-product of the fracking industry. So this could be setting up Florida to look more attractive to the natural gas people. Florida considering weakening restrictions on discharging chemicals in water
Frickin' Fracking. Fracking is a business that is just a complete disaster for Americans. I hadn't put that together until I saw your post. I think you're right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom