Backup to integrated computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New to diving so take it for what it's worth, but I use an air integrated wireless computer and a small SPG clipped off to my BC. Mostly just in case I loose connection with the transmitter then I at least have the SPG while I ascend.

If you lose connection and have an SPG and you have air, why would you need to ascend?
New to diving so take it for what it's worth, but I use an air integrated wireless computer and a small SPG clipped off to my BC. Mostly just in case I loose connection with the transmitter then I at least have the SPG while I ascend.

I dive a Scubapro Galileo Luna as my primary dive computer.

However, I also have a SPG clipped to my left hip D-ring and a Mares Puck in my pocket. In the event that I lose functionality of my Luna (I don't anticipate issues, but plan for the worst, hope for the best) I still have visibility to my air supply via the SPG, and can continue the dive with my Puck.

Without this backup, not only would I have to abort the dive, but I would be required to stay topside for the next 24 hours to allow myself to offgas to normal levels.

If I'm doing some practice dives on the weekend, it's not a huge deal. But if I'm on vacation, I lose a big part of what I came to do. And I prefer to dive the same way all the time. So that extra Puck in the pocket is a must for me.

If you lose connection and have an SPG and you have air, why would you need to ascend?

Because now you are a computer diver that is diving without a computer! If you planned your dive as a computer dive, ascending is what your training should have told you to do in the event of a computer failure. As soon as your computer goes belly up, you no longer have any way to track your nitrogen loading, so you no longer know how long you can safely stay at depth. This is particularly true if it occurs on a deeper dive, or if the computer fails after you have already gone on prior dives that day. This is the advantage of carrying a second computer. If your primary goes, you have a backup and you can continue your dive. If not, you should be making a slow and safe ascent.

The only safe alternative to continue your dive would be if you had a contingency plan based on tables. If prior to your dive you had already made a plan based on tables, and the dive you had been executing at the time of the failure had been following that plan, you could complete your dive just as a table diver would if they entered the water without a computer in the first place. Any subsequent dives would then be continued as table based dives. This is likely going to be a much more conservative profile than what your computer would be showing you, since you wouldn't be getting any bottom time credit for time you spent at shallower depths...but much LESS conservative than ending your dive immediately.

Of course, most people I know don't plan their dives that way, and most people I see aren't wearing a watch or bottom timer in addition to their computer. That said, this is a much cheaper method of staying safe in event of a computer failure than buying an entirely redundant system...and frankly, if tech divers can execute complicated dive plans using only tables and a bottom timer, so can you. You just have to remember to plan your dives, and dive your plan.

Because now you are a computer diver that is diving without a computer! If you planned your dive as a computer dive, ascending is what your training should have told you to do in the event of a computer failure. As soon as your computer goes belly up, you no longer have any way to track your nitrogen loading, so you no longer know how long you can safely stay at depth. This is particularly true if it occurs on a deeper dive, or if the computer fails after you have already gone on prior dives that day. This is the advantage of carrying a second computer. If your primary goes, you have a backup and you can continue your dive. If not, you should be making a slow and safe ascent.
Personally, I interpreted this the same as TotDoc, that jjdig would not need to ascend if only the wireless transmitter failed to send pressure for whatever reason. With the SPG, and all other functions working on the computer, there is no reason to abort the dive. Just switch to the backup SPG.

also guys dont forget AI transmissions can be interfeared with by high power camera strobes!!!
all be it only temporary but can still be a shock to see no air reading on your wrist!!!
yes it will come back but may take a little time lol

If, as has been suggested you have a backup devise, there would be no reason to surface. That was why I asked the question.
Because now you are a computer diver that is diving without a computer! If you planned your dive as a computer dive, ascending is what your training should have told you to do in the event of a computer failure. As soon as your computer goes belly up, you no longer have any way to track your nitrogen loading, so you no longer know how long you can safely stay at depth. Th, is is particularly true if it occurs on a deeper dive, or if the computer fails after you have already gone on prior dives that day. This is the advantage of carrying a second computer. If your primary goes, you have a backup and you can continue your dive. If not, you should be making a slow and safe ascent.

The only safe alternative to continue your dive would be if you had a contingency plan based on tables. If prior to your dive you had already made a plan based on tables, and the dive you had been executing at the time of the failure had been following that plan, you could complete your dive just as a table diver would if they entered the water without a computer in the first place. Any subsequent dives would then be continued as table based dives. This is likely going to be a much more conservative profile than what your computer would be showing you, since you wouldn't be getting any bottom time credit for time you spent at shallower depths...but much LESS conservative than ending your dive immediately.

Of course, most people I know don't plan their dives that way, and most people I see aren't wearing a watch or bottom timer in addition to their computer. That said, this is a much cheaper method of staying safe in event of a computer failure than buying an entirely redundant system...and frankly, if tech divers can execute complicated dive plans using only tables and a bottom timer, so can you. You just have to remember to plan your dives, and dive your plan.

A small backup SPG tucked out of the way might be appealing to me, but this sounds like a console with an SPG, depth gauge and compass--exactly the kind of bulky thing that people replace with wireless AI wrist computers. Just an observation. I have no horse in this race.

Correct!

I carry redundant pressure gauge, depth gauge, compass, and bottom timer too. This may seem like overkill to some, but if, say..., my fancy AI wrist computer were to suffer a strap failure mid-dive and fall off my wrist unnoticed (happened), or otherwise suffers a critical failure, then I'm covered. This isn't about hose counts or bulk, it's about safety and fault tolance.

Last edited:
also guys dont forget AI transmissions can be interfeared with by high power camera strobes!!!
all be it only temporary but can still be a shock to see no air reading on your wrist!!!
yes it will come back but may take a little time lol

Only radio frequency AI transmissions are affected by strobes. Ultrasonic AI is not affected.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom