Backup to integrated computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c) If the computer altogether fails - no time, no depth, no pressure - and I do not have a back-up, and I am diving with a buddy, I rely on my buddy for time and depth. The dive continues.

I would end the dive since we are now down to one depth/time guage and no backup.

If I read your post correctly, it seems that the actual issue you encountered was loss of gas information. I didn't see you comment on concerns about loss of depth or time data.

Correct
The Suunto Cobra completely lost abilty to display gas info psi on the display, the entire dive. Its on a hose but display is digital, checked all setting while diving, wasnt a setting issue, was a momentary failure of some sort.
Yes guess you can also have an spg failure, just saying I have experienced a failure & could have extended my dive if I had a back-up to air supply read-out. Just an spg & Ai wrist computer, or keep my console & add an spg as we did while in Coz.
I just like simplicity so really need to think-out my next move if I even decide to make a change.

Always sucks to abort a dive but can be easily prevented with an addtional spg reading of some sort.
I would imagine others have also had a gas readout failure of some sort?

The hose connected pressure readings are more dependable than the wireless system

Can you link the data that supports that conclusion? Or are you just doing the "well it's electronic therefore it HAS to be less dependable?"

Once I had weird random transmitter battery error on a boat while in route to a dive, so no air reading. Another time my wrist unit suffered a strap failure while on a dive

For the battery you had a maintenance failure. You should replace the battery yearly whether the gauge says it's low or otherwise. For the strap failure, you had a pre-dive check failure.

New to diving so take it for what it's worth, but I use an air integrated wireless computer and a small SPG clipped off to my BC. Mostly just in case I loose connection with the transmitter then I at least have the SPG while I ascend.

Do you have any first-hand experience with the transmitter "losing connection" or are you just falling into the Scubaboard one-upmanship of "I'm a better diver than you because I'm SAFER than you?"

dont forget AI transmissions can be interfeared with by high power camera strobes!!!

I've tried on a dozen different occasions to make this happen and I cannot. I've tried different computers, my buddie's computer, different strobes, one strobe, two strobes. I've put the computer so close it's actually touching the strobe. Nope. I've asked every photographer on every liveaboard I've been on and they've never seen it happen. Most likely someone had a connection loss issue and jumped to the conclusion that "it must be the strobe" and the story took on a life of its own.

DevonDiver:
Because that's what you teach?
03.gif
Uh, um, er, did I say that? :) No, I do not teach that. (But, I do tell students that I 'have a friend' who has done that.)
I would end the dive since we are now down to one depth/time guage and no backup.
And, that is an individual decision, and I would certainly not criticize anyone for doing that. And, I was not recommending it for anyone else, merely stating what I do. I am seldom in a recreational diving situation where I do not know my approximate depth. I am seldom in a recreational diving situation where I do not know approximately how much time I have been underwater. For me, gas is the issue. If I am diving a new site, I may move to a more conservative posture.

And, that is an individual decision, and I would certainly not criticize anyone for doing that. And, I was not recommending it for anyone else, merely stating what I do. I am seldom in a recreational diving situation where I do not know my approximate depth. I am seldom in a recreational diving situation where I do not know approximately how much time I have been underwater. For me, gas is the issue. If I am diving a new site, I may move to a more conservative posture.

I agree, which is why I said "I would" instead of "you should".

However, I should have said "I would probably" since I also agree that there are some dives where there wouldn't be a lot of risk associated with continuing.

Great thread - Have not been diving in 20 years and have gone thru re-certification and the purchase of new equipment in preparation for a 2 week trip to Tahiti in November. Purchased an air integrated OCI computer and a Oceanic Delta 4 to take on the trip - now wondering if I should not add an SPG. I am a vacation diver and this is a cruise with friends, not a dive destination vacation. Probably will be diving at most every other day, with a couple of 2 tank dives. So I am thinking that a simple SPG clipped to my BC might be a good idea. Thoughts?

Can you link the data that supports that conclusion? Or are you just doing the "well it's electronic therefore it HAS to be less dependable?"

For the battery you had a maintenance failure. You should replace the battery yearly whether the gauge says it's low or otherwise. For the strap failure, you had a pre-dive check failure.

Do you have any first-hand experience with the transmitter "losing connection" or are you just falling into the Scubaboard one-upmanship of "I'm a better diver than you because I'm SAFER than you?"

I've tried on a dozen different occasions to make this happen and I cannot. I've tried different computers, my buddie's computer, different strobes, one strobe, two strobes. I've put the computer so close it's actually touching the strobe. Nope. I've asked every photographer on every liveaboard I've been on and they've never seen it happen. Most likely someone had a connection loss issue and jumped to the conclusion that "it must be the strobe" and the story took on a life of its own.

My personal experience with the Galileo is that yes the analog SPG is more reliable than the wireless. Never had an SPG fail and have had many cutouts from the wireless. Also it takes a couple of minutes to read pressure when turned on and it turns off if pressure does not change within some time, the SPG is always on.

So while I do like the AI, I would not dive without an SPG. The tank pressure is probably the most critical info you need to stay alive.

Great thread - Have not been diving in 20 years and have gone thru re-certification and the purchase of new equipment in preparation for a 2 week trip to Tahiti in November. Purchased an air integrated OCI computer and a Oceanic Delta 4 to take on the trip - now wondering if I should not add an SPG. I am a vacation diver and this is a cruise with friends, not a dive destination vacation. Probably will be diving at most every other day, with a couple of 2 tank dives. So I am thinking that a simple SPG clipped to my BC might be a good idea. Thoughts?

I'd add the spg. It is very cheap insurance.

Loss of the ability to monitor gas pressure in my tank would be an immediate dive ender for me.

Best wishes.

I thought I had already responded to this, but could not find my original post.

I have a cobra 3 w/ SK7 compass, which I back up with an SPG clipped off at the hip, and soon a bottom timer w/ compass on my wrist. All the redundancy I need. Plus, if I just want depth, temp, time, or air, I can look to the SPG or BT, but have the computer for logging, saturation, breathing rates, dive time remaining, etc... Plus, the suunto compass is back-up to the digital compass in the BT. Also, I have access to all the info with either hand.

Back
Top Bottom