Backup to integrated computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are planning for a failure, you will need to take the backup computer with you on every dive. It will do no good to have a backup sitting on the boat/shore if doing multiple dives. Some people do have 2 computers, one AI and one wrist computer. What I have see is this, often people do not have a backkup computer. Often the computer they do have is AI and often it is wireless AI.

I admit I am a crazy person when it comes to dive computers. I actually own 3 now. I take all 3 with me on the dives because I can. I have a Datamask, and a wrist computer (OC1) which are both wireless AI. I also have a BUD. I have an spg but it remains in my dive bag on the boat. I haven't had a problem with the AI but 1 time. I took the battery out of the TX (easy to do) looked at it and put it back together before the dive. It paired up and everything was fine for the rest of the trip. If the TX fails, I have an extra TX or I can put the hose and SPG on. If it fails on a dive, I surface, put on the SPG and go back to diving. That is the plan, it has never happened but it is the plan. If for some reason both AI computers fail I still have the BUD and the SPG. All my computers have the same algorithm and all seem to match up for depth and time when I check them.

Yes, I am crazy about dive computers, I am a fan. It's my money, I will spend it the way I want.

This is exactly what I was taught. If you have 2 different systems you follow the most conservative. I say systems because, it could be 2 computers, or a computer and tables.

What does that mean? Do you follow the table instead of the computer because the table is more conservative? If so why bother with a computer?

The hose connected pressure readings are more dependable than the wireless system, so I would expect that to fail only when the computer fails, most likely from a bad battery. If you're doing just one recreational dive it's not really necessary to have a backup unless there's a chance of going into deco or getting close to it.

If you're doing repetitive diving it's a good idea to have a backup as mentioned by gizmo, then in the event of failure your dives are not interrupted. In this case you do need both parts backed up.

Had an Areis Epic and now a Galelio Sol w/trimix... NEVER EVER had a transmitter connection problem with ether and was running multiples. But, I do have a long hose PG on each regulator I can't see and a mini on the ones I can see - anyway. The whole point in hoseless was to get rid of the hose - NOT. With a hose connected computer, you now have 2 hoses. With a hose less, you can track gas usage from multiple sources with different gases with the push of a button without grabbbing around for tank necks and hoses, and can set alarms for each source. Big bucks to do it this way though, but I like to be able to see the computer sustantuate the dive plan with gas switches.

It would behoove you to have a backup depth guage, pressure guage, bottom timer and compass too. At least you will be able to salvage the repetitive dives if the computer fails. All my backups are on a console and pg's clipped to the ends.

Like this:

IMG_20130801_214351_560.jpgIMG_20130801_214408_428.jpgIMG_20130801_214432_892.jpg

I am looking to configure a backup setup for my Cobra 3 in the event that it fails while on a dive. I'm wondering how other people handle this, do you take a redundant system along? Or just end the dive and have a backup out of the water?
Thanks in advance.
no integrated gauge
2 gauges
2 computers

I am looking to configure a backup setup for my Cobra 3 in the event that it fails while on a dive. I'm wondering how other people handle this, do you take a redundant system along? Or just end the dive and have a backup out of the water?
Thanks in advance.

I dive with a wireless air-integrated wrist mounted computer as my primary, but also carry a traditional analog SPG/Depth Gauge/Compass hose unit as backup at the same time.

Once I had weird random transmitter battery error on a boat while in route to a dive, so no air reading. Another time my wrist unit suffered a strap failure while on a dive, and the computer slipped of my wrist unnoticed. Having a backup saved the day. So, you're doing the right thing. I would always wear a redundant system on your dives, plus have plenty of spare batteries on hand back at the boat.

Last edited:
I dive with a wireless air-integrated wrist mounted computer as my primary, but also carry a traditional analog SPG/Depth Gauge/Compass hose unit as backup at the same time.

Once I had weird random transmitter battery error on a boat while in route to a dive, so no air reading. Another time my wrist unit suffered a strap failure while on a dive, and the computer slipped of my wrist unnoticed. Having a backup saved the day. So, you're doing the right thing. I would always wear a redundant system on your dives, plus have plenty of spare batteries on hand back at the boat.

So you have a wireless AI computer of the type that people like because it eliminates the hose and console, and then as a backup you have a hose and console connected as well. Talk about belt and suspenders!

So you have a wireless AI computer of the type that people like because it eliminates the hose and console, and then as a backup you have a hose and console connected as well. Talk about belt and suspenders!

Better than trying to wear two belts or two pairs of suspenders!

the AI option is the lux option "nice to have the Air reading on your wrist!" but the gauge is there tucked to the side and should be seen as a standard piece of equipment !

the AI option is the lux option "nice to have the Air reading on your wrist!" but the gauge is there tucked to the side and should be seen as a standard piece of equipment !

A small backup SPG tucked out of the way might be appealing to me, but this sounds like a console with an SPG, depth gauge and compass--exactly the kind of bulky thing that people replace with wireless AI wrist computers. Just an observation. I have no horse in this race.

i run a suunto D9Txi /AI Plus a D6i with a single small spg clipped to my harness if the Ai fails i just have the spg and the D6 the spg is nice n tidy no long hose to snag on its a clean rig
lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom