Backup Regulator Necklace Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, SPG tells you when you end the dive based on air supply, right? And computer tell you when to end the dive based on N2/O2 loading. One of them hit the limit, you are going up. The only reason you haven't gone up when your computer dies is because neither of them hit the limit. At that moment if you ascient, you will have enough air, because if you don't, you should have ascent earlier.
If the computer is air integrated, it'll tell you when to end the dive based on air too.

You mean the secondary regulator?

An elbow on the primary hinders donation. An elbow on the secondary can aid placement, but can also affect the reg position in your mouth if the hose length isn’t correct.
I'm not worried about the elbow if I have to donate.

I would have chosen the flex hoses, especially in 84”. I’ve had both, and I like rubber more.

If you have an air integrated computer, a separate mechanical SPG is optional. As said, if your computer dies you just end the dive. The only situation it helps in is if the TRANSMITTER dies, then you can continue your dive with computer and SPG.

If you have an air integrated computer, a separate mechanical SPG is optional. As said, if your computer dies you just end the dive. The only situation it helps in is if the TRANSMITTER dies, then you can continue your dive with computer and SPG.
Makes perfect sense.

I'm not worried about the elbow if I have to donate.
You'll find it awkward to hold.

Also an elbow will wrap the hose around the back of your neck more tightly. With the hose going out sideways there's some give in the flex of the hose, so it won't irritate when you turn your head.

When it's on your backup, that's under your chin, so isn't an issue.

It's one of those things you need to try. Just telling you what I experienced.

It's one of those things you need to try. Just telling you what I experienced.
Ditto. For the primary, I started with a 5-ft hose, found it awkward, relented and started using the "tech length" 7-ft hose, then wanted to see if I liked the "streamlined OW" configuration with a 110-degree elbow, found it awkward, went back to the ol' 7-ft hose and now use it for all my diving.

Just finished ordering my hoses and accessories from DGX:

- Primary 2nd stage- 84" flex hose
- Backup 2nd stage- 22" flex hose
- Inflator hose- 22" flex hose
- Swivel eye SS snap 3" for primary 2nd stage
- Swivel big eye snap 4.5" for gauge
- Threaded dust cap for my DIN 1st stage

Already have a 110 degree elbow for the primary 2nd stage.

The BP/W kit comes with some 2" EPDM loops for the inflator or otherwise and it comes with a length of cave line. For a dollar apiece, I got some of these to try out or at the very least, as part of a save a dive kit:

I will be interested to hear how that 7 ft flex hose works out. Expect to be replacing your drysuit neck seals more often and watch how you tuck that hose. It can kink and cut off the air supply. I and other instructors have personally seen this with braided long hoses. And don't store it for any length of time coiled up. It'll take a set and be a pain in the butt to work with.

It can kink and cut off the air supply. I and other instructors have personally seen this with braided long hoses. And don't store it for any length of time coiled up. It'll take a set and be a pain in the butt to work with.

Was doing bailout practice at 70m/220ft with some other guys (a bailout is where you change from a rebreather to breathing from a standard aluminum 80 and regulator. One guy pulled out the braided hose from his stage, put it in his mouth and took half a breath and it stopped. Thankfully he could get back on the rebreather. He tried again and the same happend; half a breath and nothing. Again back on to the rebreather.

His buddy then saw what was happening; the hose had kinked at the first stage end and prevented gas flowing.

It could have killed him if that was a real bailout because the rebreather wasn't working. Panic at that depth is deadly.

After that dive we all came to the conclusion that those braided hoses are a menace and need special treatment, i.e. check that the damn things aren't kinked.

I cannot resist, forgive me.

I agree with Jim Lapenta, I did recommend braided hoses but I did not mean to recommend an 84 inch braided hose. If I caused that to happen I am sorry. If need be I will buy the hose and use it on my work bench. I do recommend for all the other hoses up to a 60 inches braided but not the 84 inches because of the issue Jim Lapenta raises. It must be tucked and stowed and therefore could be kinked though I have tried to kink some of my hoses and it is not especially easy to do.

Elbows, I prefer an elbow on primary hoses up to and including the 60 inches hose. For an 84 inch (7 feet) I would not as there is plenty of length to provide for a straight in swivel attachment to the primary second without tugging. I would not want an elbow on my secondary, I think that would be awkward and in use has proven to me to be so.

As a diver now of more than five decades I have pursued the most streamlined and minimal rigs and gotten sidetracked more than once. Though I think I am close now to what is perfect for me. My diving conditions keep changing, I have gotten older, my needs therefore change and therefore my rig changes. I am not DIR so I am not among those who dive the same exact rig for everything from cave to resorts for all of time. For that matter I have not been in a cave for 30 plus years and have no interest in it. My point is that sometimes we purchase things that in the end get tabled and we try something different. Since God did not prescribe upon the tablets handed to Mr. Main and his cohorts the specifics of elbows, hose materials or for that matter adaptation to single tanks I feel some liberty to experiment and again, I am not DIR. The Hogarthian rig allows for evolution and adaptation as long as the result is minimal and simple and functional. It is not rigid or fixed, especially when it comes to the minor things like elbows and rubber band count. That is Hogarthian or maybe I should not even use Hogarthian but instead just call it what it is to me, Minimalism, the pursuit of function first, taking nothing that is not needed (for the dive) and everything else then follows.

Keep in mind this fellow is a cave diver and one of the most experienced at it. But it is good read and gives a little insight into the way the man for whom the configuration is named thinks:

We have adapted what was developed as a double tanks, technical cave system to what is now called recreational diving, mostly with singles. Yes, there may result some disagreement on minor specifics.

For the OP, probably should have stayed with a 60 inch hose if braided for open water or gotten the long hose in rubber, the remainder braided.

Okay, gone again.

James

Back
Top Bottom