Backscatter Flip 3.1 vs. SRP BlurFix3+ 55 with CYD Video Comparisons for Hero3+ Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are there any recent, current version comparative, unbiased videos out there for these two filter set ups? Backscatter seems the most versatile but SRP seems to be of higher quality?

Any comments appreciated too on this comparison!

I see a 1 year old video online that show a drastic difference however it's using older versions. Difference is so dramatic - is it real?

Here's the old comparative video I found: GOPRO vs new SRP and Backscatter RED FILTERS for DIVE HOUSING - YouTube

Most would say the SRP filter, glass lens version especially, is better quality including myself.

I basically combined the best of both. The Flip 3.1 system with SRP filter.

IMG_0898.jpg

Srp and forget about it

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Most would say the SRP filter, glass lens version especially, is better quality including myself.

I basically combined the best of both. The Flip 3.1 system with SRP filter.

View attachment 177411

Any thoughts on the PolarPro Switchblade3+? Seems to offer the same functionality as your setup for less cost:

GoPro Hero3+ Accessory SwitchBlade3+

I'm trying to decide between something like this or the two different depth filters on the Backscatter. I'm thinking filter + macro is more versatile.

-Sean

Any thoughts on the PolarPro Switchblade3+? Seems to offer the same functionality as your setup for less cost:

GoPro Hero3+ Accessory SwitchBlade3+

I'm trying to decide between something like this or the two different depth filters on the Backscatter. I'm thinking filter + macro is more versatile.

-Sean
The PolarPro Switchblade3+ is pretty nifty, priced right too. What it lacks, and what I wanted, is the flexibility to change the lenses to any configuration the user might want. I like to sometimes stack 2 or more diopter lenses for more magnification. Or I can have a +10 on one flip and a +30 stack on the other. My guess is that the macro lens on the switchblade is probably similar to a +10 diopter, allowing you to get within 8 inches of the subject and keep focus.

I guess it depends on what your needs are. If your not looking to get really close up shots, which can be a real PITA with the GoPro, the
PolarPro Switchblade3+ looks like a fine choice. I can't comment on its build quality though since I've never handled one.

Cool, thanks, I think I'll go for the switchblade. I'm just beginning with underwater photography, so keeping things simple seems wise.

Question though since you have a similar setup, but one that presumably doesn't allow you to have both the macro lens and the red filter at the same time: if you have a good video light like the Sola 800, is there much point to the red filter + macro combo? Doesn't the light put most of the "red" back in, regardless of depth, at least close up?

Cool, thanks, I think I'll go for the switchblade. I'm just beginning with underwater photography, so keeping things simple seems wise.

Question though since you have a similar setup, but one that presumably doesn't allow you to have both the macro lens and the red filter at the same time: if you have a good video light like the Sola 800, is there much point to the red filter + macro combo? Doesn't the light put most of the "red" back in, regardless of depth, at least close up?
You are pretty much correct. If you are going to use lights while macro filming, which means very close, you will have a very red image if the red filter is used. I always use my lights when using the diopters so not being able to use my red filter simultaneously with the diopters is fine. Sometimes at depth, the red filter and lights at moderate distances work ok together, not so much close-up. When I'm in a cavern or crack, where ambient lighting is weak, I remove my filters and go to lights.

If you can use your macro lens without the red when using lights then do so. If the ambient light is plenty, you can use both red and macro and no light. if not and your image is too red you might be able to color correct it in post editing.

Back
Top Bottom